Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

giving up on linux

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ltdave

ltdave

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 07 February 2009 - 10:00 PM

i downloaded Mandriva...

i downloaded ISOrecorder...

it wouldnt copy the image to a CD because it said some nonsense about it needing a DVD to burn it to even though i selected CD...

i downloaded SUSE...

ISOrecorder wouldnt run properly so i downloaded InfraRecorder...

i burned an image of SUSE to a CD and now i cant get it to load or boot up...

i DONT want to have to join ANOTHER forum to get support for this so i give up. bill wins this round because apparently those who are trying to buck the system cant make it simple enough for the neophytes...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 czhang

czhang

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2009 - 11:42 PM

Don't give up so fast. Have you tried Ubuntu 8.10? You can burn a live CD and try it out without leaving any trace on your current hard drive. I am actually typing this in Firefox 3.05 under 64 bit Ubuntu 8.10. Most of my computers are running XP Pro, but I do find Ubuntu 8.10 to be usable for someone not familiar with Linux. It has Firefox as a web-browser, Evolution as a mail-client and organizer, and Open Office (Word Processing, Spreadsheet, and Presentation) for office tasks. It also has a document viewer to open PDF files.

I am still using XP Pro most of the time because I have many programs that I want to use under XP Pro. But I have to say Ubuntu 8.10 is definitely worth trying out. It is free and will always be free. You lose nothing by trying it out.

The download page is at:
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/downloadin...ownload-button=

#3 ltdave

ltdave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2009 - 11:48 PM

Mandiva ONE and SUSE both are 'supposed' to work the same way. i downloaded them and tried to make a CD (which worked for SUSE) but neither would boot up/run...

i wanted to run or install some program (either a CD burn or OS program) and i needed to install a .NET file or something...

ill stay with XP pro. its not given me any troubles since about '04...

#4 czhang

czhang

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2009 - 12:08 AM

I'll probably stick with XP Pro because of software compatibility issues with Windows 7 Beta 64 bit Ultimate edition.

Can you clarify what you want to do? Run and install what program? Why do you want to try out Linux in the first place?

#5 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 AM

Posted 08 February 2009 - 03:21 PM

i burned an image of SUSE to a CD and now i cant get it to load or boot up...

Is your computer set up to boot from the CD drive rather than the hard drive?

#6 ltdave

ltdave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2009 - 04:26 PM

Can you clarify what you want to do? Run and install what program? Why do you want to try out Linux in the first place?

i would like to try something other than the microsoft bloatware that ships with most computers...

i tried to install and run Madriva and SUSE but neither would go...

see the first line. i want to see what else is out there...

Is your computer set up to boot from the CD drive rather than the hard drive?

i thought if you had a boot CD in the drive when you turned on the computer, it would automatically boot from the CD. how do i change the setting because maybe thats why im having issues...

#7 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 AM

Posted 08 February 2009 - 04:58 PM

Computers are set up to boot from the first bootable medium they find: CD, DVD, USB, hard drive, whatever. What comes into play here is the order in which these devices are polled for bootable media. Most computers look at the hard drives first because that's where the OS is 99% of the time.

To boot from a CD, one must change the order that devices are polled in.

How to do this varie somewhat from model to model. When you first start up, you ought to see a black screen with white text on it before your computer first beeps (or, you may see a logo for the manufacturer). Look for a message that either says "Press _______ For Boot Menu" or "Press _____ For Setup."

If it says "Press ____ for Boot Menu" or something similar, press they key mentioned and select your CD drive. Otherwise, refer to the manufacturer's website (or let us know the model and ask us) for how to change the boot order in the setup program.

#8 czhang

czhang

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2009 - 09:08 PM

What Amazing Andrew meant is that you need to change the BIOS settings to make sure that the computer boot first from the CD/DVD drive.

To get into BIOS, usually you need to press the "Del" key or the "F2" key or some other key that the onscreen instruction specified.

Then you will probably need to find the "Advanced Settings", and then the "Boot Sequence" or something similar. This may be a little different from one computer to another.

In the "Boot Sequence", make sure you select the CD/DVD to boot first. Then you will typically need to press F10 to save and exit the BIOS settings and restart.

Try that and see what you find.

To learn more about BIOS settings, please visit one or both of the following links (or you may be able to search youtube for a video about it):
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/bios-beginners,1126.html
http://compreviews.about.com/cs/pchardware...cs/a/aaBIOS.htm

Edited by czhang, 08 February 2009 - 09:08 PM.

#9 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2009 - 11:02 PM

No Cd, no BIOS solution.
Download Wubi. Run the installer.
Info here:
http://wubi-installer.org/
FAQ's here:
http://wubi-installer.org/faq.php

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users