Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't reestablish LAN

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Cirdan

Cirdan

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 07 February 2009 - 09:38 PM

Two years ago, I set up a LAN: three desktops (each using Windows XP Home), a D-link router, a DSL modem, and a hP LaserJet 1300 PCL. Configuration was done using the Network Setup Wizard and the LAN functioned normally until last week, when katiecomputer lost the ability to print on the network printer. I got an error which indicated that the network path to the printer could not be found.

At that time, I deleted the printer from katiecomputer and tried to reestablish connection using the Add Printer Wizard. However, the network printer was not listed in the browse list, no printer was. So, I named the printer and got an error indicating that the named printer could not be found, even though the printer was "pointed to" correctly. I did some research and found a solution: remove sharing of the printer, then restore sharing. After doing this, the Add Printer Wizard did list the printer, so I installed the printer and printed a test page.

One day later, my girlfriend, again, could not print from katiecomputer and I could not get the network path to be recognized. This time, the remove sharing/restore sharing trick did not work to establish the connection. After a bunch of fiddling, I reset the LAN connection on katiecomputer and then on lindacomputer which acts as print server. The Add Printer Wizard immediately "saw" the printer and I installed it. Two hours later, the installed printer disappeared form the Printer and Fax list, leaving no printers installed on katiecomputer.

It seems that I have lost communication between computers on the LAN, yet each can access the internet independently. Repeating the Network Installation steps has not worked. Changing the workgroup name for each computer has not worked.

I have tried so many things that I have lost track. Perhaps my problem is simple and easy to resolve, I don't know. Perhaps a virus is at work.

Can someone suggest troubleshooting steps or point me toward a resource so that I can reestablish the LAN and share resources?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Louisj

Louisj

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 PM

Posted 08 February 2009 - 02:22 AM

:thumbsup: try going to the router config normally 192.168.0.1
disconnect and reconnect also check computer with printer attached is on and so is the printer it may work then
:flowers:

#3 Cirdan

Cirdan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2009 - 04:15 PM

My router is IP address is http://172.16.0.1/. The printer server and printer are both on.

Note that I have restarted both the printer and the print server multiple times trying to reestablish the network connection. One time, I turned off all the computers and started them one at a time, beginning with the print server. I waited until the desktop came up, then started the next, ...

Your query has led me to another potential correction. I will try resetting the router.

#4 Cirdan

Cirdan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2009 - 05:49 AM

I reset the D-link DI-604 router, but lost all connectivity, including the internet, so I reset again. This time I regained my connection to the internet, but not among network computers and printers.

Next I installed the excellent Cisco free trial of Network Magic on two of the LAN computers: the print server (lindacomputer) and on katiecomputer. The Network Magic map of the LAN shows that all computers are hooked up properly, but I am still unable to share LAN resources.

I have pretty much come to the conclusion that the problem lies with the router. Reviewing the symptoms and chronology of the deterioration of the ability to share LAN resources strengthens my belief that the router has failed. I have a Belkin router on order and will install it this week.

Edited by ragergle, 09 February 2009 - 09:41 AM.

#5 Cirdan

Cirdan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2009 - 11:27 PM

I got the Belkin wireless router today, installed it, and have rebuilt a two-computer LAN. Now, I am able to share files and the printer, but cannot fully connect to the third computer, nor to my notebook (at all). I have been on the phone with Belkin technical support, but the first technician could not resolve the issues. A callback from a more experienced technician has been scheduled.

Also, D-link has generously offered phone support of the DI-604 beyond the lifetime of that product, so we will work to resolve the connectivity issues with their router.

Edited by ragergle, 12 February 2009 - 08:44 AM.

#6 Cirdan

Cirdan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2009 - 01:41 AM

I have largely resolved my connectivity issues with the help of Desion over in the Networking forum.

Edited by ragergle, 16 February 2009 - 01:44 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users