Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

looking for a good high def surround sound vid card

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#16 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 13 February 2009 - 07:08 PM

The best power supplies, in my opinion, are from Corsair or Silverstone. That X1650 XT is from 2005, why be obsolete from the beginning? If all you want to do is listen to music, you don't need a powerful PC. Something like the EVGA 512-P3-N944-LR GeForce 9400 GT, which was released in 2008 and requires a 300W power supply, would be a great alternative.

I dunno, I would not use a video card that would max out the power supplies. those bestec power supplies are decent for average computer use, but if you put a video card in that requires a 300 watt power supply it is going to strain the poor thing, and they were never designed to be put under that kind of stress load and chances are it will shorten the life of the Power supply. theres nothing wrong with the PSUs if you use them for what their designed for-same with most prebuilt computers, but manufacturers, in order to cut costs put in the most generic, run of the mill power supplies, and were not designed for major upgrades in the future. yes, the 9400 and even the card I recomended, will run on them but they will put a lot of undo strain on the power supply and cause it to die much sooner then it should, and running under load it will also heat up and heat up the rest of the system, and heat can also damage other parts. I would stay with the 1650 with that power supply, any newer and a I would recomend a new power supply, even if its a 450 watt okia off of ebay.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 triggerhappypappy

triggerhappypappy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 13 February 2009 - 07:08 PM

Five years, for me, is a good lifespan for a PC without a major overhaul. Problem is, many of HP's PC's are designed with proprietary power supply connectors making a motherboard replacement a bit tricky. However, when I put your model number into Google, I see that an off-the-shelf power supply is suggested, so you may not have those connectors.

So if I add a power supply I should be ok, right? what connectors are you referring to?

If I were to build a computer where would i start(never done this before,obviously)...Couldn't I just purchase one that fit my needs,or is that too expensive?

Just to let you know(all of you whom posted) I am taking heed of your warnings,and advice.I do appreciate your help!
Freedom Is Not Free !! Pray For our Troops

#18 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2009 - 07:59 PM

"That X1650 XT is from 2005, why be obsolete from the beginning? "

Yes, The X1650 XT is getting long in the tooth, BUT, it still does what it's supposed to .
For what it was bought for [WOW] , even though it's getting old, compared to the onboard video it was still like going from a Pinto to a Porche .

I find it amusing that people will buy the "newest" even if what they have still does what is required.
If a person tries to stay on the "cutting edge" they'd be building a new computer every 6 months.

Also, Not everybody has the $ for the latest , greatest.

The Guy I bought the X1650 XT for is laid off, in a small town, with a wife & kids.
He can't afford a new computer & I did the absolute best I could as inexpensivly as possible.
I could have got a new bottom end , junk, video card for about the same price.
I thought a older better perfoming card was the more practicle choice.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#19 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 13 February 2009 - 10:17 PM

Many on-board cards, if the motherboard is recent, will run better than the X1650 XT. Five years, for a video card, is a long time. Unless you have some severe economics, a $60, or $40 after the rebate, card that is very recent will do best. There have been three ATI card generations since the X1xxx series and that is a long stretch. For the record, I still have a PC with the original 8800 GTS that came out three years ago. There just hasn't been any real need to update it. Besides, according to AMD's own website, it takes 350W to run a X1650 card. As for the connectors, generally the ones connecting the power supply to the motherboard, are different. You can certainly buy yourself a new PC but know that you will pay more than if you build it yourself. But, if you're nervous about making a mistake building the thing, buying one to your specifications could be advantageous.

3939.png

#20 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2009 - 10:40 PM

This one has a Radeon X1800XL in it .
By computer age it's outdated, but still does what I want it to.

I have a [custom built] media center that has a HD 2600 XT in it.
By no means a high end card but handles TV/movies just fine.

If a person is in to high end games, GTA4, Medal of Honoror Airborne, etc. I can see the need for a really good/fast video card.
For average games, Runescape, WOW, some of the older cards still serve the purpose.

I'm not a gamer so I don't see buying a new video card just becuase it's "faster" .
A movie is only going to play so fast anyhow ! :thumbsup:

I look at buying a latest/greatest video card to watch a movie on the monitor or a "standard" TV like buying a HD TV & having rabbit ears .
What's the point ?

Basically I think a computer should have components that are suitable for the way a person uses a computer.
If a person is only going to use the computer online & to watch movies they really don't need an Alienware.
If they are a hard core gamer they really don't need a "off the shelf" emachine.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#21 triggerhappypappy

triggerhappypappy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2009 - 11:52 PM

I found upgrade psu's up to 700 watts for my computer.
Is a psu the only thing preventing me from getting what I want.

#22 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2009 - 01:56 AM

well, unfortunatly your PSU and memory will also bottleneck any modern video card. the new card will still give you better performance, but not as much. joeblue is correct, theres no need to buy a new video card if you can have a older cheaper one that performs just as well. and as far as integrated cards eeek, my motherboard has a nvidia 6150, which generation wise and stat wise should in theory, outperform the ati 200m (its is a dedicated video card) in my laptop. its newer, and has supposedly better everything. yet the 200m matched the 6150 in every test if not slightly outperformed it-both in games and benchmarking tools like 3dmark06. sure a mode modern integrated 3200 or 8200 video card would out do that 200m easy, but technically that 6150 should have beaten it hands down, integrated or not. My suggestion is save your money, and perhaps see if you have a friend whom you trust who knows how help you build a new computer. decide what you need and build for what you need. if You dont need to play high end games like crysis dont blow 400 bucks on a video card, for instance. :D

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#23 triggerhappypappy

triggerhappypappy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2009 - 09:41 AM

Fair enough. Thank you for your help!

#24 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2009 - 01:52 PM

I prefer ATI based video cards as I've never had much luck with nVidia .

If all you are going the use the computer for is normal use/movies/music & wanr a good, inexpensive, video card you might look for one of these. X1300 Pro [or XT] requires a 4 pin floppy drive connector for power, has Pixel Shader 3.0 so will even run the newer games.
X1600 XT or X1650 XT , requies no additional power .
Hd 2400 XT or HD 2600 XT , neither require additional power .

Any one of those cards will give you a great display & do pretty much anything you want them to.
All have 2 monitor connectors & TV out .
The X1300 Pro, while considered "old" , can be obtained new fairly reasonable.

I don't lean toward inexpensive as a matter of being cheap or poor.
The simple fact is you're upgrading an older unit to extend it's life.
The upgrade will probably be it's last Hurrah ! & there is no point in spending more then neccessary to get it to do what you want.
When you do get a new computer anything you buy today will be outdated by then any how.
No point in spending a lot of $ on a video card now if a less expensive one will do the same thing as well .

Avoid the X1800 & X1900 series.
Both require a 6 pin power connector, run hot [raising the temp in the case] .;
They also suck a LOT of power !

Edited by fairjoeblue, 14 February 2009 - 02:23 PM.

#25 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2009 - 11:21 PM

weve concluded that a 1650 will not run on his system, i would actually not recomend a card that has anymore then a 200-250 watt minumum power supply rating because with most of those power supplies the 300 watt is talking about the peak power not the continuous power, and if it hits the peak power to much it will fry. were probably talking 9200 for that power supply. and as far as the connectors, any power supply will have to match the connectors. most HPs that old I have used use a 20 pin motherboard power and a 4 pin CPU power, but there are some with custom power supply connectors, so the way to tell is to look inside.

As far as building a new one, I would research the parts thorougly and do one of two things-just save up till you can by everything you need, or do what I did, and buy them piece by piece. For example, when I built mine I got my case first (well it was an older case I modified heavily to run a modern computer) I then bought the motherboard, CPU and power supply in a combo package, waited a month or 2, then purchased the hard drive and memory, threw it in along with some extra optical drives I had, so I had a working computer, and about 4 months later managed to save up enough money to purchase a video card that I had been wanting, only problem was I had made a mistake and the first power supply I ordered didnt have the amperage to handle the video card and fried in 3 months, so I had to buy a new power supply.

so make sure if your building the computer yourself you research the parts very thoroughly, dont just take our word for what will work though we would be willing to help, but get on to some place like wikipedia and read up on the different type of computer parts and how they work so you have a good understanding of all the parts and how they work, then look at the actual brands, research all the parts to see which ones have good reviews, good quality, performs well enough to do what you need it to, and you have all the parts to enable the computer to run smoothly.

picard5.jpg

#26 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 15 February 2009 - 12:46 AM

I think the GeForce 9200 is on the mobile boards. Regardless, patriot09 is right, a new PC would be best. The forum members would be happy to help you in building or buying a new PC.

3939.png

#27 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2009 - 01:46 AM

I think the GeForce 9200 is on the mobile boards. Regardless, patriot09 is right, a new PC would be best. The forum members would be happy to help you in building or buying a new PC.

lol not a geforce 9200 an ati 9200, its also known as a 1250, sorry for the confusion.

picard5.jpg

#28 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2009 - 01:48 AM

the_patriot09,

Your post #25 just reminded me; compared to the research necessary to build a computer, the actual building is a breeze. :thumbsup:
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#29 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2009 - 02:09 AM

that it is, lol. ive put over a month of research into a build im doing for my dad at the end of the month so far lol.

picard5.jpg

#30 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2009 - 02:00 PM

"weve concluded that a 1650 will not run on his system"

I haven't concluded that.
With a better power supply there is no reason a X1650 won't work.

Since the majority here seem determined to convince the OP that the only way to have a computer that will play a movie is to spend hundreds of dollars to build a new one I guess I'll withdraw from the thread.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users