Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer won't stay connected to wirelss

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 smackie182

smackie182

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 07 February 2009 - 07:09 PM

Hello to anyone who can help me,

I am using a sony vaio with Windows XP 2004 Media Center Edition. I use Cox High Speed and I just installed a D-Link DIR-628 Rangebooster N inorder to have wireless. When I view my wireless networks it shows with full strength but my computer will not stay connected to it. I tried to Repair the connection through windows but it could not get past "Renewing the IP address." I can still contect using the ethernet cable.

If anyone has any idea what this means or how to fix it I would greatly apprechiate it!

Sara

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 doresy

doresy

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 PM

Posted 09 February 2009 - 06:34 PM

I am a bit of a newbi but i have been having troubles with my network which I have nearly fixed, I think.

I may be talking rubbish but this is what fixed it for me.

If, like me, your problem is a firewall issue then you need to make your firewall trust your router's ip address.

clik-start then clik-run then type cmd then ok. In the black window clik the space bar then type ipconfig then enter

Make a note of the ip address.

Then go into you anti-virus/firewall program and under firewall in networking you have to find the trusted site area. In there you will find a place to enter that IP address which will then teach your firewall to accept connection.
Windows XP Home....Netgear DG834G wireless modem/router....ISP- AOL.

#3 patbox

patbox

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 PM

Posted 17 February 2009 - 12:18 PM

Please explain: What do you mean by it will not stay connected? Do you mean it will connect for 5 minutes and then disconnect and you need to connect it again?
Message from Patbox: I AM LOOKING FOR A GIRLFRIEND (PM if interested) :-)

#4 smackie182

smackie182
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 02 March 2009 - 02:32 PM

It will show connected on the Wireless Network Connection screen where you can view all the wireless networks nearby, but only momentarily then jumps right back in to trying to establish the connection.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users