Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weird Sound

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 omaroo

omaroo

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 07 February 2009 - 04:58 PM

hi i have had this problem b4 and has reappeared. Basically when ever i try to view a video file or open an application my base unit more specifically my HD make a sound for 10 secs and freezes and becomes normal again. Have i got a bad sector on the HD or what. Please help me im getting fed up.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 07 February 2009 - 09:48 PM

You will probably need to run the HDD mfr's Diagnostic Utility for that drive. If you need to find it ,we'll need that info.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 omaroo

omaroo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2009 - 11:16 AM

what is the HDD mfr's Diagnostic Utility. What do you mean.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 09 February 2009 - 11:51 AM

Most manufacturers have a down-loadable diagnostic tool which when used will tell you what condition your hard drive is in. You will need to find out who the manufacturer of your hard drive is, to do this you will need to look at it inside the case. Turn off the computer and unplug it from the wall outlet before you open the case.

If you can find out who the manufacturer is post it here and I'll provide you with a link for the download.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 kalpia

kalpia

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 09 February 2009 - 02:04 PM

You could also right-click on the drive letter, go to Properties, and click on Tools and check it there using Windows on-board utility. It works pretty good for finding and fixing errors.
To error is human, to forgive is against company policy

#6 omaroo

omaroo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2009 - 04:23 PM

dc3 im not used to opening the case as i might damage it. Any other way of checking the manufacturer of my HD.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 11 February 2009 - 08:53 PM

Yes, download SIW, the link below will take you to the download page. Scroll down to Storage Devices and click on it.

http://www.gtopala.com/siw-download.html

Edited by boopme, 11 February 2009 - 09:33 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 omaroo

omaroo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2009 - 08:11 AM

well here are the details.

Vendor- Western Digital
Model- WDC WD307AA-00BAA0.

Is that ok

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 14 February 2009 - 08:43 AM

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.as...d=2&lang=en

Above link is the diagnostic tool you will need for your hard drive. Follow the instructions given for preparation of the floppy and run it.

You will want to run the extended test.

Louis

#10 omaroo

omaroo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2009 - 12:59 PM

i downloaded it, where is the extended test.

#11 omaroo

omaroo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2009 - 01:36 PM

i tried to install, but is asking for a floppy, i aint got one what shall i do. That wierd sound is occuring alot when im playing a video what shall i do.

#12 omaroo

omaroo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2009 - 09:15 AM

what shall i do.

#13 Justa

Justa

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2009 - 05:29 PM

Hi,
I just noticed these posts and since I have a couple of WD drives I downloaded loaded the diagnostics in case I may need them in the future. There are a few choices available for the download. If it is asking for a floppy I suspect you may have downloaded the version to create DOS bootable floppy. If you want to run it from Windows make sure you click on "Data Lifegaurd Tools 11.2 for Windows" first before you download the diagnostics. There is a technical information and FAQ link on the bottom of the page that may be helpful.

#14 omaroo

omaroo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2009 - 05:08 PM

well downloaded it for windows, when i open it it gives for option but for a new hardrive. Is that right or not.

#15 Justa

Justa

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 08:05 AM

No that is not right. There are more support downloads on that page other than diagnostics, the 11.2 version does not appear to have diagnostics on it. The version that wanted you to install a floppy creates a boot disc. It appears that there are three software choices to run the diagnostics, by creating a boot disk for a floppy, a CD boot disc and a version to run directly from Windows. The diagnostic software can be used completely wipe a hard drive and write "0's" to all locations so be careful. Run the extended test. Here is a link to the Windows version of "Lifeguard Diagnostics" in which you do not have to create a CD or floppy if you prefer to run it from Windows.

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.as...sid=3〈=en

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users