Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Home Log on

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 roma1995

roma1995

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 07 February 2009 - 02:11 PM

Ok, here's the skinny. my step son somehow got our PC infected with that nasty Antivirus 2009 malware. I had to take the PC to a professional who successfully wiped it out and reformatted my entire hard drive. I can pick it up tomorrow but wanted to know how I could prevent unwanted access to my computer. In other words, keep the kid from accessing anything on it. I'd like to create user names and passwords for me and my wife while preventing ANYONE else from accessing anything on my PC.

Is there an easy way to do this? Keep in mind, I'm a relative novice so please use vernacular I can understand.

thanks
roma

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr-Bee19

Mr-Bee19

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 07 February 2009 - 02:16 PM

Create a username with your step son and give him "Limited Access". If you go to Control Panel and then User Accounts, you can add a new user. And while you are adding him, you will see what type of account you are going to assign him as (i.e. Administrator, Limited Access, etc.)

You can also block websites that you think may not be safe. Also, keep up to date with your Antivirus software and Windows Updates.

#3 roma1995

roma1995
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 07 February 2009 - 03:59 PM

Thanks Mr. Bee19. That's basically all I needed. Is there a way I can block my step son completely from using it? That way, if my wife or I wanted to let him access the internet, WE would have to log on for him. That way we could better monitor his usage.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users