Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tools to browse previous registry?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 RobertFranz

RobertFranz

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 07 February 2009 - 01:37 PM

Here's the scoop:

Server 2003 got hit by malware.
Various methods used to remove the infection.
Still didn't boot after a repair install, so I installed to a new directory on same partition.

So....as I go through reinstalling applications that require registry entries, I come to one where I can't find the damned serial number.

I'm already at the wire on the server rebuild, and the vendor's support line doesn't open until 5am Monday.
My absolute deadline for the app to be up, running and tested is 8am Monday.

I expect that I can probably squeak through just fine - assuming something else doesn't blow up.
And lately, that's more than I want to assume.

I suspect the serial is in the registry in the previous windows install, but I can't recall a way to do this off the top of my head.

It's been a rough week.

Oh, and I'm working remotely, so I can't boot to an optical drive to mount tools.

Is there some kind of "registry explorer" type tool around, or aleady in server 03 that I'm too blind to see?

::Edit::

Found a tool to edit the raw hives - can't find the serial though.
Looks like I wait until Monday.

Edited by RobertFranz, 07 February 2009 - 02:13 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users