Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

laptop not acting right

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mejim

mejim

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 07 February 2009 - 12:26 PM

Computer: Dell Latitude D/600
Operating system: Windows XP Pro
IE 6.xx

I don't use this laptop on the internet very much, nor was I using the internet when this problem came up.

I was using this laptop to download some surveillance video from my security camera DVR. There was a lot of video to capture (20 minutes worth) but the download seemed to be successful. I turned off the laptop.

The next startup was where my problem began. It started fine, however told me that "ashDisp.exe" (avast) could not be intitalized to which I just click off the splash screen. But then I notice my wallpaper was gone and my screen was now blue, however with all the desktop items still there. Everything else seemed normal and I tranfered the video on to a flash/jumpjack device and did a disk cleanup after dumping most of the video in the trash of the laptop.

So I am done now and I try to turn off the computer, it will not do it. I try to restart, it will not do it. I then did a system restore and the laptop would not advance to the next screen for "system restore". So, that function is out. I can turn off the laptop by using the on/off button.
I have also noticed this. I was trying to retrieve some detailed information about my laptop (for you) and it would not open system information from the normal of - start, programs, accessories, system tools, system information. Also there are other things such as when I opened the control panel and went to add/remove programs, it would not advance to that option. So I would not be surprised if there is a lot more wrong with this laptop.

Does anyone have an idea I might try? This has been a pretty reliable computer but suddenly this problem pops up.

thanks in advance,

Jim

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 08 February 2009 - 06:12 PM

Right click on the C drive in Explorer and go Properties > Tools > Check Now (under Error Checking). Check both boxes then click "Start Now". A message will pop up saying that Error Checking will run after you restart the computer. Restart the computer and Error Checking will run automatically after the restart. After itís finished it will restart into Windows automatically.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 mejim

mejim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 09 February 2009 - 02:17 AM

Budapest,

Thank you for helping me out. I did what you said and presto - it works. My Avast anti-virus still fails to initialize, but I may just uninstall and reload it.

Thank you, I sure appreciate this place.

Jim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users