Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless laptop connection?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 07 February 2009 - 10:52 AM

I have a new laptop that when I go onto my wireless network it shows the signal is excellent but still says limited or no connectivity but it shows a 54Mbps connection. I have been checking all the things I can think of that may hold it back, it says the problem the network is not assigning an address. Any ideas will be appreciated!

Phil

Edited by OldPhil, 07 February 2009 - 10:53 AM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 07 February 2009 - 11:46 AM

I have a new laptop that when I go onto my wireless network it shows the signal is excellent but still says limited or no connectivity but it shows a 54Mbps connection. I have been checking all the things I can think of that may hold it back, it says the problem the network is not assigning an address. Any ideas will be appreciated!

Phil

You'll need to setup both your router and desktop to use WPA2 encryption. Follow the instructions given in the manual for your wireless router. In many cases the document is on the CD provided in the box in PDF format, so you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader installed.

You can generate a 63 character key here:
https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm

Copy it to Notepad as you will need it for wireless configuration.

#3 Johnz414

Johnz414

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 07 February 2009 - 01:39 PM

I have the same thing happen to me.

I either wait a bit and it straightens itself out or

I restart my PC and that usually straightens it out for sure. :thumbsup:

But, if you haven't already taken care of what DaffyKantReed mentioned then that may be what you need. :flowers:

John
John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious",
Albert Einstein.

"I am what I am and that is all that I am, I am Popeye the Sailor Man", Popeye.

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2009 - 06:52 PM

I think I may have it fixed, will know later after I kill the other two computers. They are doing some down loading hogging band width!

Phil

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2009 - 07:14 PM

Well this post is from my new laptop, thanks for you help! The little Acer Aspire One is a fun little machine, it is quite a bit slower doing tasks then my 3.4 dually but it is just fine. Again thanks!!!!

Phil

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users