Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus Caused this?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rico002

rico002

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 AM

Posted 07 February 2009 - 10:38 AM

im sry im fairly new the forum, but lets get started lol. i recently got a virus that causes my computer to log me out of windows immediately as i click on my username to log in. ie, the splash screen loads and i can click on a username and if need be enter the password but as soon as i hit enter, i get logged out really fast, like my desktop doesnt even load. I tried to boot in safe mode but to no avail. So, i got my Windows XP sp3 cd and did repair, however it didnt seem to work. i believe virus changes the registry values to a loop. How can i change the values in the registry if my computer doesnt boot?

EDIT: I guess no one can help lol.

Edited by rico002, 07 February 2009 - 12:09 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 AM

Posted 07 February 2009 - 12:50 PM

First - patience. We are all volunteers here and the load is pretty large. Helpers usually deal with threads they are currently working before starting on a new one.

Next - Remove the reference in your signature or I will have it removed for you. You will find that BleepingComputer is a friendly forum and reminders like that aren't necessary.

Since you have significant booting problems, even after a repair install, I recommend moving to the HJT forum. Since you cannot post any logs, you need to specify that at the beginning of your new topic.

Please follow this guide from step (6). Post a HJT log to the HJT forum and a Team member will be along to help you as soon as possible. You may wish to post a link back to this topic to see what was discussed thus far.

If you need any help with the guide, please let me know.

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 AM

Posted 07 February 2009 - 01:00 PM

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Use this link to read what a repair disk means, it's done by booting to the cd, is that what you did?

Edited by DaChew, 07 February 2009 - 01:01 PM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#4 rico002

rico002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 AM

Posted 07 February 2009 - 02:53 PM

ma bad rigel i wasnt tryin to offend anyone lol. but if u insist, ill just have to reword it.
dachew- yea i did that.
is it possible to change a registry value if i have a hd connected via usb, like can i change values on a 2nd hdd?

this is what i want to do, but i dunno how. take the hd out of the 'infected' comp. connect to my other computer via usb and change the values that i believe are corrupted. how can i do that? cuz when i use regedit. it shows the main hdd.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users