Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Home CD includes SP3?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 georgia

georgia

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 07 February 2009 - 09:06 AM

I have a new Toshiba noteboook which I bought another 14 inch as my other 2...the model # of this new one is M300 -04V in Canada and in the USA is M305 - 04V, the Part # is PS MD 4C-04V01C. I did a lot of reading and checked out with a couple of Toshiba Depots and this model is able to be converted to XP from Vista.
I wanted to grab a new notebook as my current Toshiba is a 3 year old MX 50 - M5 and has been used a lot with no issues.
However I look to the day that it might and the parts and labour are so costly.
I did not want Vista nor do I want to be a guinea pig for the OS that is coming out after Vista and understand that support for XP is 2014. At least that is what I have been told on another forum.

What I am wondering is whether I can simply install up to SP2 from this CD that the store gave me when I purchased the notebook. I don't want SP3.
Again this is a licensed copy and I will get someone better technically knowledgeable to do all of this. ( or does this CD go on anto install all the way up to sp3?).
The person that I get to do this has done all of the reading on the drivers etc. available and then I suddenly wondered about this install CD of XP that I got with the notebook.

I look forward to comments, thank you for your time.
Talent is a flame. Genius is a fire.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 czhang

czhang

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2009 - 09:33 AM

When did you purchase your last Toshiba notebook with the XP disk? SP3 was published on May 6, 2008. If your notebook was purchased before that, the XP will most likely be SP2 (or much less likely an even earlier version).

I have updated all my XP Pros to SP3, and it doesn't seem to have an adverse effect on my computers.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2009 - 09:41 AM

Simple answer: No.

The SP3 files have been integrated into the install. Some of those files probably replaced files which were included in SP1 and SP2.

If you only want SP2, then do the install with a CD that does not already contain SP3.

Louis

#4 georgia

georgia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2009 - 09:48 AM

Hmmm...just bought the notebook a couple of hours ago. It seems that the only XP cd's available have sp3 on them and the office does not allow that. I am no whiz at this, all that I was told is that I can't have sp3 installed on my notebook.
Sounds like this could be an issue???
Talent is a flame. Genius is a fire.

#5 czhang

czhang

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2009 - 10:02 AM

What version of Office do you have? I have MS Office 2003, and it runs fine under XP Pro SP3.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users