Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista using 1.5GB Ram just at idle

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 purplemonkE

purplemonkE

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 07 February 2009 - 08:55 AM

Vista seems to be using 43% of available ram just at idle...

Is this normal?

It's using about 1.5GB of ram

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 07 February 2009 - 10:23 AM

Lucky you, mine's using 2.29 gB at rest (I've got lot's of stuff open and 8gB of RAM).
Sometimes Vista will use "unused" RAM for it's own purposes, but most often it's the open programs that are using it.
Check the Processes tab of Task Manager (select the option to show all processes for all users) to see what's using your memory up.

In the absence of any other symptoms, this is likely to be normal - but the symptoms are probably more important than the numbers.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 purplemonkE

purplemonkE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2009 - 11:23 AM

it operates perfectly fine I was just shocked when I opened up task manager... there are multiple processes running, the majority of which must be OS based as I recognise no software/program names amongst them...

I a fickler for controlling startup programs and not installing bloatware etc but 2.29gig at rest!!!! Have you checked what programs have snuck into your startup programs list????

#4 purplemonkE

purplemonkE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2009 - 04:01 PM

after an afternoon of fiddling... mainly uninstalling unnecessary software bundled with my laptop from HP... idle Mem usuage is now down to 1.10gb

also downloaded Ccleaner and ran registry fixer

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 07 February 2009 - 05:20 PM

I'd avoid any registry fixer - they cause more problems than they're worth (been there, got the t-shirt!)
Here's a link about the myths behind registry cleaners: http://www.windowsbbs.com/showthread.php?t=61015
Although the article refers to XP, the same discussion applies to Vista and to other versions of the Windows OS.

Windows does a lot of stuff deep in the background that you can't see. With the memory management features added in Vista, there'll be a greater at rest usage than you were used to with XP.

I've got 22 tabs open in Firefox, 8 open in IE, 3 VM's running (XP, Vista, Win7) and all of my email stuff (4 programs total), Windows Debugging Tools, Task Manager, Process Explorer, Autoruns, Folding at Home, and a Router monitor program.

The good thing about having 8 gB of RAM is that I can keep all of this open without suffering from lag. I can even play video games without shutting anything down!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users