Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

pc hang problem

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 narasimhan

narasimhan

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 07 February 2009 - 07:37 AM

my pc keeps hanging. i am having this problem for a very long time.
while browsing or just reading a pdf file(it can happen any time), it hangs i.e. monitor, keyboard and mouse won't respond.
this problem was there for 2 years but happens only once a week. but for the past one week it recurs atleast 5 times a day and its really bothering me. my computer is old one(5 years old) pentium 4 ht, 512ram, 80gb hard disc microsoft xp professional. monitor is 10 years old. is it due to monitor problem. but then why does mouse and keyboard does not respond.
or is it due to my graphics card(geforce 4 MX). if it is due to graphics card then how do i remove graphics card and give monitor connection directly to pc. presently monitor is connected via graphics card. please help
thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 czhang

czhang

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 07 February 2009 - 07:44 AM

It is much more likely a problem with the hard drive. How old is your hard drive? I suspect that your hard drive is about to fail. Backup your important data as soon as you can. Traditional hard drives will fail at some point, usually after a few year, depending on how you use it (e.g., do you use is a lot? Do you often defragment the hard drive?)

#3 narasimhan

narasimhan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2009 - 07:58 AM

i don't defragment much. hard drive is 5 years old. ok then i'll back up. could it be a xp problem.

#4 czhang

czhang

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2009 - 08:07 AM

If you have multiple applications opened, the OS will write some stuff to the virtual memory (a part of the hard drive allocated for this purpose), esp. those running in the background, and allocate more system memory to the one running in the foreground. When you switch applications, the OS will have to read from the hard drive, so there may be a hang there. This happens to me on a computer with Intel Pentium 4 3.4 GHz processor, 1 GB memory, and 160 GB hard drive, if I have many applications running at the same time.

But in your case, it (the hanging) is more likely a signal of approaching hard drive failure.

Edited by czhang, 07 February 2009 - 08:10 AM.

#5 dmndmn

dmndmn

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2009 - 09:02 AM

I had a very much alike problem with my computer the last week or so. What u mean to say is that after some time your monitor display goes off and the light keeps flashing and keyboard and mouse wont respond right.

As Czhang said it could very much likely be a HD problem. You might also want to check up on the following :

1 ) Check for dust accumulation inside your Cabinet
2 ) Overheating Ram and GPU (unlikely as you haven't mentioned that you run graphically demanding applications like games )
3 ) Or Least likely ( motherboard, CPU or your PSU/SMPS ( Power Supply ) problem.

You wouldn't believe what i went throught to get my system repaired. Finally i'd to go for a cpu replacement and it's functioning smoothly now (well almost :thumbsup: ) . Hope this helps. Good luck.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,290 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2009 - 09:37 AM

Hanging applications usually generate a line item in Event Viewer, on the Applications tab.

The fact that you don't defrag often...is not a good thing.

If it were me, I'd take a look in Event Viewer at all the errors generated there. Those errors are generated because XP feels that owner/user attention needs to be diverted to these situations.

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

I'd also try running chkdsk /r on the system/boot partition. Start/Run...type chkdsk /r (with space between k and /) and hit Enter. Type Y in response to onscreen query and hit Enter. Reboot the system and let the command run to completion, system will reboot when command is done.

If chkdsk completes successfully, I would then defrag the boot/system partition.

If chkdsk does not complete successfully, I would download a diagnostic from the website of the hard drive manufacturer...and run it on the drive.

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

Louis

#7 czhang

czhang

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2009 - 09:49 AM

Defragment often is not such a good thing, esp. if you defragment with the tool that comes with XP. XP defragment tool will unnecessarily move everything (or almost everything), which will significantly reduce the life of the hard drive. I had a HP notebook before (Pentium 4 2.0GHz processor). I often defragment the hard drive to supposedly keep my system working at top speed, the result is that the hard drive failed less than 2 years after I bought the notebook.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users