Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Knowing which Computer fan to buy?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 j0nath4n

j0nath4n

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 07 February 2009 - 06:06 AM

I'm thinking of buying a Computer fan(Blue LEDs) but I how do I know whether it fits in my PC?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 audioAl

audioAl

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 07 February 2009 - 06:55 AM

Morning: Without info as to your case model, custom or manufacturer, all I can reply to you is case fans come in many sizes 80mm,120mm are most common. 120mm Schythe comes in very quiet. That should be your priority. IMO, front , rear, side or top?
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit/Intel e5300 cpu/ASRock G41M-LE mainboard/G max4500 onboard graphics/4gigs OCZ 800Mhz ram/ VIA onboard HD Vinyl audio/Yamaha RX-V465 HT receiver/ Cambridge SoundWorks and Infinity RS1001 speakers

#3 j0nath4n

j0nath4n
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2009 - 02:55 AM

As far as I know, it is a Compaq Presario. Looks like an ATX case to me. Any websites that I can read more on computer fans and PC modding?

#4 Hawkeye4

Hawkeye4

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 08 February 2009 - 03:24 AM

Can you go to the manufacturers website and look up your model number? That should tell you exactly what kind of fans it takes. Like mentioned, it's either 80 or 120 mm.

#5 j0nath4n

j0nath4n
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2009 - 05:16 AM

Can't seem to find any useful information on the manufacturer's website. My model is Compaq Presario SR1789CF.

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 08 February 2009 - 10:44 AM

measure the mounting holes (not diagonally) and tell us what they are
Even in inches is good enough

Edited by garmanma, 08 February 2009 - 10:45 AM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 diepartbrandin

diepartbrandin

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 08 February 2009 - 11:36 AM

The fans in my computers have the size written on the blade. If that helps any.

#8 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2009 - 08:16 PM

just look in your case and look around, some cases have extra fan mounting points some do not. if you want to replace an existing fan with one with blue LEDs look on the fan blades like you said, look for an empty fan slot, should be 4 holes in a box spread evenly apart. measure them with a ruler or something and give us the size and we can help you out. if you dont have mount points, you can do what I did with the front of my case-it had a 80 mm mount point but I wanted a 120 mm so I just ordered the fan, took all the parts out of the PC and took off the front plastic cover, used the fan itself to mark the holes, and drilled the new holes and mounted the fan from there. I also cut a 120 mm hole over the CPU and mounted a 4 LED fan there (I was having cooling issues, old case with poor cooling combined with modern parts that run very hot) so theres ways around it. but if thats all to much work just look for the extra fan points, most compaq cases have at least one, typically either a 80 mm or a 120 mm, but in either case find em and measure them.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#9 j0nath4n

j0nath4n
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2009 - 07:06 AM

Sorry for looking like an idiot, but where do I measure the so called "mounting points"? A picture maybe?

#10 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2009 - 11:53 PM

open the side of your case and find them. there should be 4 holes equal distance from each other in either the front or the back of the case. not hard to do, but it does involve taking the cover of your case off and looking around inside ;)

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users