Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System functions not working after IE 7 installation

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 ispy6266

ispy6266

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 07 February 2009 - 01:09 AM

Hello,
Any help out there for an idiot who clicks "install" when windows update offers new programs?

Windows update pops up with a the new Internet Explorer 7 upgrade, I accept.

After restart, I return to my task of composing a letter only to find that when I select any of the tools in the toobar, the system freezes. Also, my music player wont load.

I try to do a system restore. I receive the following message:

rstrui.exe - Bad Image
X The application or DLL C:\\WINDOWS\pchealth\helpctr\binaries\pchshell.dll is not a valid Windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette.

So I reboot the system and try again. Same message. I proceed to click on different programs to see if they start or if they start can I open files or play music. There's a lot of damage here.

I uninstall IE 7 and I can now open and play music but Word still wont let me use the toolbar.

What have I done? Can anyone help me? I don't want to do a re-install of the OS. It would take me forever to backup all the files on my system.

Thank you,
Crazy About Her Computer

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 07 February 2009 - 01:17 AM

Hi ispy,

Now that you've uninstalled IE7, can you try system restore again to go back to before the IE7 installation ever took place?

If system restore doesn't help, return it back to the present (go through the same steps only select to undo the change this time).

If that didn't work, then go to Start > Run and copy-paste in sfc /scannow and click on ok.
This will check your files to see if any are corrupt or missing and try to find a replacement. You may be asked to insert your cd.

See if either of these steps help.
Zllio

#3 ispy6266

ispy6266
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2009 - 02:39 AM

Hi ispy,

Now that you've uninstalled IE7, can you try system restore again to go back to before the IE7 installation ever took place?

If system restore doesn't help, return it back to the present (go through the same steps only select to undo the change this time).

If that didn't work, then go to Start > Run and copy-paste in sfc /scannow and click on ok.
This will check your files to see if any are corrupt or missing and try to find a replacement. You may be asked to insert your cd.

See if either of these steps help.
Zllio

#4 ispy6266

ispy6266
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2009 - 02:47 AM

Thank you for your help, Zllio,

But, when I tried to run the system restore after the uninstall, again I got the same message.
I tried running the /scannow function too but it asked for the XP disk and I don't have it since the Windows operating system was already installed on my Dell when I got it.

While I was waiting, I ran Spybot S&D. It cleaned up a lot of junk, but it didn't correct the system restore error. Any more ideas? Please, help if you can.

Ispy

#5 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2009 - 06:06 AM

Hi ispy6266,

There are two things you can do. See if you can borrow an XP disk which matches your operating system and use that when a disk is requested during the sfc /scannow For instance, if you have XP Home, then you need that. If you have XP-Pro-SP2, then you need that. It needs to match your own system.

Another option is if you are the original owner of the computer and are a bit patient, you may be able to get Dell to send you a copy of the disk on the basis that the computer was delivered without one. They will want to know who the computer is registered to. Call 1-800-915-3355 and tell them that your computer was delivered without the recovery disk and you need either for them to send you the disk or you need to know where you can download it from. Tell them that returning your computer to the factory settings is not an option for you. Unless you specifically want their technical help, simply tell them there are some occasions where you need a disk, like if you can't boot up or if your hard drive breaks and so you need a disk and you need to know how to get one, whether they can send it to you or where you can download it from. Tell them you ran sfc /scannow on your computer and it requested the disk because it couldn't find a file in the computer that could replace the corrupt one, therefore you need the recovery disk. They may offer you some kind of service package that is expensive. Simply say no and tell them you need a disk and how can they help you get it so you can complete the repair of your operating sytem.
I don't guarantee this will work, but the companies have been quite accomodating in getting disks to people who ask for them if you are persistent.

Hope one of these two things will help you.

Zllio

Edited by Zllio, 07 February 2009 - 06:10 AM.

#6 ispy6266

ispy6266
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2009 - 08:15 AM

I will see if I can get one today......please check back this evenig. I will know more by then. Thank for the help!

ispy

#7 ispy6266

ispy6266
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2009 - 11:51 PM

Zllio,

Ok, I was able to get a copy of Windows XP Home Edition. I did the sfc/scannow. I put the copy in and it worked. Yeah, team!!!!!

Once I rebooted, I was able to open all of the system programs that I couldn't before, including System Restore. I didn't try to restore to another date because I hadn't gotten the word from you yet, but I was able to look at the dates going back for months.

The only problem I have now is in the Word application. I am still unable to click on anything in the toolbar without it freezing and giving me an error message. Do I need to uninstall and rinstall the entire office suite or is there some step I am missing in correcting this issue (i.e. is the problem still there).
I updated my Spybot, then ran it again (twice). There were still things to be removed. Does it ever end? Please help me with the Word issue, if you can. I haven't tried any of the other office apps as of yet but I will while I am waiting for your reply. Thanks so much.

Ispy

#8 ispy6266

ispy6266
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2009 - 11:55 PM

Also, should I just stay with IE 6 and forget IE 7? Could it be incompatible with my system or something of the such?

Ispy

#9 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2009 - 12:33 AM

Hi ispy,

I'm glad some things have progressed. There are several ways to proceed and it would be good to read this whole post before making a decision.

Since this occured with the installation of a Windows component, I would still recommend trying to go back from before it happened using SystemRestore. Choose a restore point from around a week before it happened and see if this gets rid of the Office problems. If it was a corruption issue caused by the installatin of IE7, this should get around the problems. If it's a malware issue, the malware will still be present and using System Restore won't get rid of the malware. If you try this and there is no improvement, simply go back into system restore and undo the recent change. Here are the instructions for this, but do read on to the other suggestions before you decide how you want to proceed. Even if you decide to do the repair of Office first, it won't prevent you from using System Restore if the repair of Office doesn't work. In case you need them, I'll put the instructions for system restore in the quotes box. Please note, that by going back to an earlier restore point, you'll lose any updates you've made and any programs you've installed since that restore point. The files will still be in your computer, but the entries for those pieces of software will not longer be in the registry and the updates (like for your antivirus) will have to be picked up and any programs you installed reinstalled.

System Restore:

If you've never done this before, Go to Start / All Programs / Accessories / System Tools / System Restore
check the box to Restore my computer to an earlier time and click on Next. You'll see a calendar with highlighted dates. Choose one of the dates just preceeding these problems and allow your system to return to that date. See if the problem goes away.
If this doesn't work, go back into System Restore as per the above instructions, only this time choose the option to reverse the change you made.

There's a repair for Office. I'm not sure which version you have. If you look at the two folloing websites, there's a section of the webpage on repairing the software. The first link is for Office 2007. The second link is for Office 2003. See if this helps.

How to install and to repair 2007 Office features

How to install or repair and reinstall Office 2003 programs and featuress

And finally, without knowing the specifics of what kinds of things your antispyware might be picking up, if none of the above leads to improvement, I recommend that you ask in the Am I Infected section for general advice with regard to infections after you finish here. It's possible that your computer was infected when you tried to install IE7 and this could have caused the problems. It is equally possible that something in your computer doesn't like IE7. I've used both IE6 and IE7 and finally got used to both, but I ended up staying with IE6 because I like it. As a browser I use Firefox for everything possible, which I highly recommend. You need to have Internet Explorer regardless of which version you decide upon, because there are a few things inclucing Windows Updates which will only run in Internet Explorer. If you stay with IE6, be sure that you have the most recent update for it, which should be IE6 SP3.

Here's a link for firefox: Firefox

I hope this helps. Please let me know how things turn out and what you decided to do.

Thanks.
Zllio

#10 ispy6266

ispy6266
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2009 - 01:02 AM

Thanks Zllio.

I will try the system restore first and let you know how that turns out.

Ispy

#11 ispy6266

ispy6266
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2009 - 09:15 PM

Zllio,

Thanks again for your help. I tried the system restore twice. No go! No changes made to system. Could not restore to check point. The other option you gave me was to open a new topic in Am I infected. I will tyr that one. Please note that I did try to repair Office and it also didn't work. I have uninstalled it and reinstalled it, but it still wont work. It is now uninstalled until I find a solution to this problem. That sucks but I can't write the letter I need to write anyway. If there are any additional fixes you can think of, please list them. You are a scholar and a gentleman.

Ispy

#12 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2009 - 02:36 AM

Hi ispy,

I think trying to do a more thorough check for malware is the logical next step. This will tell you if there was any malware on your computer when you did the update. And if you find your computer is clean and that was not the problem, I would then go from that forum to the forum called Business Applications which works specifically with the office applications.

I will try to follow your threads, as the problem is not such a normal one.
Sorry for your difficulties.

Zllio

#13 tony007

tony007

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 10 February 2009 - 02:33 PM

Hi ispy,

I think trying to do a more thorough check for malware is the logical next step. This will tell you if there was any malware on your computer when you did the update. And if you find your computer is clean and that was not the problem, I would then go from that forum to the forum called Business Applications which works specifically with the office applications.

I will try to follow your threads, as the problem is not such a normal one.
Sorry for your difficulties.

Zllio

#14 ispy6266

ispy6266
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2009 - 10:36 PM

Zllio,

I will follow your advice. I have a topic up and it's being moved on. Hoping to resolve. Thanks again for your help.

Ispy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users