Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error Loading Operating System

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Cancrizans

Cancrizans

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 07 February 2009 - 12:24 AM

Hi there. I've searched the web and these forums for information about this error message, and found quite a few suggested solutions; however, this error seems mostly to occur after a fresh install of Windows. This is not the case for me.

Over the past month, I have noticed my computer running slower, and crashing more often. It became particularly severe during the past week. I would get programs simply freezing on screen for a minute before I could move the cursor again, or simply freezing so long the only option was to restart the computer.

Two days ago, I woke up to this black screen with the message "Error Loading Operating System". The only change I have made to the system recently is, two weeks ago I got a blue screen crash and after reporting the issue was taken to a website which said the crash was due to a chipset driver of some kind and that I should update it, which I did as per the instructions that were given. However I had the slowdown and crashing prior to this so I'm am not sure if it is related in any way.

Any information or suggestions anyone could give is very much appreciated, and I thank you for taking your time to read this post.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,483 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 07 February 2009 - 02:27 AM

Hi Cancrizans, and welcome to BleepingComputer.

Have you run any scans for infections?

Have you looked in the Event Viewer to see if there are any error showing up at these times?

Start> right click on My Computer> Manage> Event Viewer.

On the right side of the page you will see the options Applications, Security, and Systems, double click on Systems. There are eight columns on this page, the three that you will want are Type, Date, Time, and Event.

The errors will appear in the Type column, they are red dots with a white X inside of them.

Warnings will appear as a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark inside.

When you see an error, double click on it and see what the description is.

Please post the error code/s found in the Event column and the descriptions back in this topic.

You might try running chdsk.

Go to Start and click on My Computer.

Right click on the drive in which you want chkdsk to run. The C: drive is usually contains your operating system.

Click on Properties and click the Tools tab. In the Error-checking box, click the Check Now button.

Set up the Check Disk options by checking one or both check boxes displayed.

To repair errors without scanning the volume for bad sectors, select the Automatically fix file system errors, and then click Start.

To repair errors, locate bad sectors, and recover readable information, select the Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors, and then click Start.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Cancrizans

Cancrizans
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2009 - 04:13 PM

Thank you very much for responding. Unfortunately I can no longer boot my system; this error appears after the Intel logo screen and before the operating system loads.

I was wondering if there are any error checks I can run from this state or must the operating system be up and running to perform these? Sorry I am pretty much a noob when it comes to this kind of thing, but thanks a lot for taking the time to help.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,747 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2009 - 04:15 PM

Do you have a MS XP install CD?

Do you have access to known, good, properly protected system?

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 07 February 2009 - 04:16 PM.

#5 Cancrizans

Cancrizans
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2009 - 04:46 PM

I have an install CD...somewhere. The computer is 6 years old and came with XP installed and a loose backup CD. I hope I can find it if I end up needing it.

As far as a known protected system, I am using my dad's laptop atm, it is running fine and has security software installed.

#6 chameleon437

chameleon437

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 08 February 2009 - 07:48 AM

Hi Cancrizans,

Found this - don't know if it applies to your particular problem.

regards,
chameleon437

#7 Cancrizans

Cancrizans
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2009 - 03:20 PM

Hi Cancrizans,

Found this - don't know if it applies to your particular problem.

regards,
chameleon437

Thank you for the link...unfortunately it is one I had found when looking up the problem at first, and it seems rather vague as to what exactly I should do to fix the problem; additionally it mentions the error occuring after an install, which is not the case for me.

#8 Cancrizans

Cancrizans
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2009 - 05:52 PM

Hey. Wasn't able to post during the week as computer still won't start up, using laptop atm. Anyone have any suggestions before I take it to the shop?
Thanks. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users