Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Recovery Console

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 elitewarrior

elitewarrior

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 07 February 2009 - 12:22 AM

This is my first post so I would like to say Hi to everyone so... Hi :thumbsup:.

Anyway I own a HP computer and I never do a clean format, I just use the HP recover but lately it was getting annoying because of all the crap ware that was being install with it. So I obtained a Windows XP SP3 OEM Home Edition. Btw i have Windows XP Home SP2 OEM Home Edition. So I booted from disk and it gave me an error. The error was "ftdisk.sys is corrupted." and then I had no choice but to restart. After browing around for eternity I came about a post said:

Boot the machine with your WinXP CD, select Repair, then Recovery Console, then run these commands:
fixmbr
fixboot

So I then realized that I had to install XP recovery console using "E:\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons". So i tried that and it tells me to restart my computer before the setup continued. I restart but it still gave me that error message.

Help would be appreciated!

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 07 February 2009 - 01:00 AM

Hi elitewarrior,

The cd you use for a repair needs to match the operating system on your computer. When you got the XP SP3 OEM edition, did you install it? If not, then you need to use the cd which matches the operating system you have on your computer which would be XP SP2 OEM.

Does this help?

Zllio

#3 elitewarrior

elitewarrior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2009 - 01:11 AM

Ok I will try that. I will get back to you guys with the results.

Thanks Zllio

**Edit**
Can i format my computer and then use the new CD to install XP?
**End Edit**

Edited by elitewarrior, 07 February 2009 - 01:12 AM.

#4 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 07 February 2009 - 06:17 AM

Hi elitewarrior,

Look at post #2 by hamluis at the below thread. That will give you instructions for a clean install.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...t&p=1122631

Zllio

#5 elitewarrior

elitewarrior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2009 - 11:23 AM

I know how to do a clean install already... the problem is that when use my XP disc I get the ftdisk.sys is corrupted error. Heres exactly what I do:

Insert XP CD
Restart Computer
Boot From CD
Now it boots from the cd and it goes into a blue screen and starts loading file (by blue screen i mean this Posted Image)
However while its loading files it gets Mount Point Manager (or something like that) after which it gives me an error saying that ftdisk.sys is corrupted. The only choice I have after is to restart...

Anyway earlier i was going through some posts and I found an XP Recovery Console ISO and for some weird reason I can go into the recovery console from there. So I have 2 new questions now:

1) Should i Use the xp recovery console disk to format and then use my XP disc to install windows (there is a risk in this i THINK because the disk might be corrupted)

2) Can I download XP Home Edition SP2 OEM for free? Because my computer came with a legitimate serial key so technically its not piracy... right?

Thanks!

**Edit**
Found this "How to Create a Bootable Windows XP Setup CD/DVD on a System with Windows Pre-loaded". Is that way safe? Because what if i have missing files in my i386 folder? It wont damage the new installation will it?
**End Edit**

Edited by elitewarrior, 07 February 2009 - 11:55 AM.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,675 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 07 February 2009 - 12:19 PM

Why do you want to reinstall your operating system?

Edited by dc3, 07 February 2009 - 12:20 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 elitewarrior

elitewarrior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2009 - 12:21 PM

Alot of crap ware comes installed with it. I have 50+ processes opening with the recover option.

**Edit**
Oh wait I dont just want to reinstall. I want to do a clean XP install.
**End Edit**

Edited by elitewarrior, 07 February 2009 - 12:23 PM.

#8 elitewarrior

elitewarrior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2009 - 11:42 AM

*Bumb*

Please help?

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2009 - 01:11 PM

If you want to do a clean install...insert the XP CD...elect the option to install XP...delete the current XP install partition...and then elect to install XP in the now unallocated space which you've just finished creating.

If you have any flash drives or external drives connected to the system...it might be wise to temporarily disconnect such until the XP SP3 install is completed. Less chance of error via drive/partition confusion.

The Recovery Console is a repair tool for existing XP installs, it is totally unnecessary and unable to facilitate a clean install.

Louis

#10 elitewarrior

elitewarrior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2009 - 05:16 PM

I tried that however I get an error saying ftdisk.sys was corrupted... so I am kind of stuck.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2009 - 05:33 PM

Well...I'd have to suspect the hard drive...or the RAM.

At what point during the install process does this message appear?

I see various persons reporting similar error messages...but no solutions.

To be honest...I have no clue and would have to proceed with the two logical suspects.

MemTest Manual - http://hcidesign.com/memtest/manual.html

Memtest86.com - Memory Diagnostic - http://www.memtest86.com/

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 14 February 2009 - 05:37 PM.

#12 elitewarrior

elitewarrior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2009 - 08:37 PM

Hi elitewarrior,

The cd you use for a repair needs to match the operating system on your computer. When you got the XP SP3 OEM edition, did you install it? If not, then you need to use the cd which matches the operating system you have on your computer which would be XP SP2 OEM.

Does this help?

Zllio

Woot, thanks man! I finally got my hands on an XP SP2 OEM. It works!

Want to thank everyone for their input. Means alot.

Thanks guys.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users