Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question about cooling for my soon to be new system

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 James09

James09

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 06 February 2009 - 09:35 PM

Hello, new to the forums. I have a new system soon to be built from ibuypower (I know. figured I'd at least give them a try and snatch my refund as soon as the slightest goes wrong). I am relatively new to high powered systems used for gaming and the like. I have researched a lot and my last real question would be the cooling. The video card is an ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB. Anyway, here are the rest of the important specs:

Power Supply ( 600 Watt -- Power Supply SLI Ready )
Processor ( AMD Athlon™ X2 7750+ Black Edition Dual-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology )
Processor Cooling ( [=== Quiet ===] AVC Silent AMD CPU Fan and Heatsink Quiet & Overclocking Proof )
Motherboard ( Asus M3A78-CM AMD 780V/SB700 Chipset w/Integrated ATI video, 8-channels, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, Single PCI-E MB )
Memory ( 2 GB [1 GB X2] DDR2-800 PC6400 Memory Module Corsair-Value or Major Brand )
Video Card ( ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB PCI-Express x16 )
Video Card Brand ( Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA )
Hard Drive ( 320 GB HARD DRIVE [Serial-ATA-II, 3Gb, 7200 RPM, 16M Cache] )
2nd Hard Drive ( None )

The order was made the other day, but changes can be made still to the order since IBP is SO slow, and no telling how long I'll be waiting for build mode. I am assuming I may need to upgrade the cooling? What do you guys recommend with this type of system/video card? Thanks for any help. The listing/pics of cooling options are here: http://www.ibuypower.com/ibp/Store/HelpMeC...d=182&oid=8

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 06 February 2009 - 09:53 PM

Hi, unless you are going to start over clocking the sytem...front and rear fans will do you well so the cool air is sucked through the fornt and removed from the back of the PC. Personally I would of choosed a Intel for gaming over the AMD.

Edited by Monty007, 06 February 2009 - 09:54 PM.

MCP
MSDST

#3 James09

James09
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2009 - 10:17 PM

Thanks for the reply. My friend has had a lot of success with AMD, and with the same exact video card experiences flawless graphics and frame rate. Anywho, so the basic fan I listed would work okay? I know this ATI card model had heating problems but apparently were fixed with their newest drivers.

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 07 February 2009 - 03:35 AM

yes a fan on the front and back would solve the problem, and all ati cards from the ati 3870 x2 has one major defect, and that is their cooling fan runs to slow to effectively cool the card. it keeps it just barely in safe ranges, but unfortunatly it can heat up the rest of the system. the fix, however is easy if you download a utility like Rivatuner (free) you can bump the fan up to keep the card well within cool ranges. I keep the fan on my 3870 x2 up to about 55% and it keeps my video card at no more then 50 C under load, which is really good. your 4850 is newer with only one GPU so im sure it wont run as hot as mine, so im guessin around 40% will prolly work for yours, you can play around with it. I think youll be really happy with that system, I am myself using the amd 7750 x2 in a build for my dad soon, so tell me how it works ok :D

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#5 James09

James09
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2009 - 10:22 AM

Hey thanks a lot for the reply. I went ahead and upgraded the fan a bit in my order anyway. No need of being too cheap when it's only $6 more. I can always add one myself later. About the ATI cards, the newest drivers apparently fix the overheating issue 100%. It also allows you to change the fan speed without a third party app. My friend has this exact same setup and I can't wait. This will be my first comp used specifically for gaming and not boring work in 15 years, and I'm 23 now. It's like getting broadband for the first time :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users