Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Associating Vista Explorer Icons with different locations?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Johnz414

Johnz414

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 06 February 2009 - 09:04 PM

Hi Anyone,

I am looking to finally get my PC in the best working order that I can.

I need to do a total re-install of my Vista OS an hope to re-organize all my partitions to accommodate this.

I've recently discovered that Vista's backup tools are very good and because of this I want to use backup a bit more than different partitions for different categories of programs.

However, if there is a way to re-associate Explorer browser links-icons with different partitions I would still like to keep certain files like "Documents" and "Paid for software" on separate partitions to facilitate easier re-instillation of the OS.

Does anyone know if and how this may be done? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

John

Edited by Johnz414, 06 February 2009 - 09:06 PM.

John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious",
Albert Einstein.

"I am what I am and that is all that I am, I am Popeye the Sailor Man", Popeye.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 07 February 2009 - 06:53 AM

If you navigate to the folder, right click, and select "Properties" there will be a tab (for those system folders) that's labelled "Move".
For folders without the Move tab, you'll have to manually relocate them to the other partition.
Be careful not to do this with installed programs as they may not work afterwards.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2009 - 09:59 AM

"usasma!" you wonderful bleepingcomputer.com geek :huh: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been trying to figure out how to do that for years and you just Lolly dog point it out to me, RIGHT ON you wonderful PC expert :huh: !!!!!!!!!!!

I've always wanted to find a way not to have to keep re-installing "those" files that don't need re-installing ever time I have to do a total OS re-instillation.

Boy it's nice to have someone on here that knows (a lot) more than I do.

It makes me think of those movies where they try to bottle peoples gifts so that others can acquire them by just drinking the potion.

Well, they should bottle yours cause I need it!

You're the best! :huh:

John

PS Microsoft must of finally heard us!

Edited by Johnz414, 07 February 2009 - 10:02 AM.

John

Albert Einstein.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 07 February 2009 - 10:38 AM

Thanks! I've worked this issue a lot - and that's how I found that out.

I've got all my data and documents saved on a separate drive. That drive also includes the profile for my Firefox and Thunderbird installations.
Once that's all done, I create a disk image of my system. That way the system image already points to those locations - so when I restore that image, I'm able to access my stuff immediately.

The only issue that I've got right now is from laziness. I'm too lazy to figure out how to redirect my email checker (PopPeeper) so that it works that way also. Because of that, I've included my PopPeeper folder in my backup routine - so at least all of the settings are saved to another drive.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 07 February 2009 - 12:59 PM

I don't know if this is close to what you're talking about, but this is something I do.

I have no partitions on my main machine, so I have my most important stuff in different folders. I do have a system backup on an external drive, tho.
Posted Image

These folders can all be put on a DVD or CD and I can then take them to my two other computers. I just drag them onto the desktop and move them to where I want from there.

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#6 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2009 - 02:09 PM

I thought of doing that and was going to before "usasma!" Enlightened me about the "Move" option found in "Properties" by right clicking on the "Start" menu links and "Explorer" links.

With the "Move" option I won't ever have to bother with (all the time involved in) restoring all those "My Documents" including the ton of photos, music, videos and application.exe files that I've accumulated over the years.

I'll be able to keep the OS restore short and sweet.

I'll still backup everything else that needs to be, "My Documents", etc. to an external HD but ---

The "Move" thing really sounds like a fun & exciting :huh: way to save a lot of time and make things a whole lot safer if not just easier.

If it's not :huh: then I guess your way will be my next choice. :huh:
John

Albert Einstein.

#7 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 07 February 2009 - 02:22 PM

Actually, I think my way works best for me, with all the different OS's that I have ... Vista Business Vista Ultimate, XP Pro and XP home ... plus Win 7 Beta :huh:

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users