Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Removal advice for "Virus" Problem

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 Nealus

Nealus

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 AM

Posted 06 February 2009 - 08:41 PM

Hello,

Some considered avice on removing a very persistent problem from my PC would be appreciated.

Any comment would be welcome . The obvious Reinstall Windows and then our Security has been considered already, I do not want to do that if I can get other suggestions.

System:
Windows XP pro,
Trend Micro 2008
2.4 ghtz1. 1.5G ram
Internet : adsl cable at 1500/256

Behaviour noticed:
Each time I search on Google, I will click on a search result and it will throw me/ redirect to a site that has no relevance to the seach querie. Usually aq ad revenue site eg: 360search.com , popfree.com , mybid.com.au. stopzilla.com.

Also, pop ups with the usual ad content present themselves during the flurry of frustration of closing the sites, and reselecting the desired search result; which seems to go where it should after I close the bogus site. I then go to my security prog TM 2008 and place the site and its buddies on the blocked list. This list is growing by the day. There is always a new site presented when the redirect occurs.

Action Taken thus far:

Used a variety of search and remove progs to setect and remove:

AVGFree ; Malawarebytes, Superantispyware, Trend Micro 2008 (which should just remove it all but always seems to not do this type of problem)

They have not worked. They pick up cookies and legit "spyware" (ie: Alexa and other approved stuff) but the redirects and pop ups persit.

I have also done the follwing to assist all to no avail:

Updated my TM2008 and the currently loaded SUPERAntispyware - I am UNABLE to upgrade any of these. I suspect the virus has affected this ability. I have tried manual work around as suggest by TM but they suggest wait and do it again -- the update volume grows by the kb each time I initiated it. And then and error message: "A error prevented . blah blah.. " make sure internet is connected, try later" blah blah. They suggestion from TM is : if you update it will clear the prob -- BUT if you cant up date you cant clear and around we go again.

Also..

System Restore seems to be affected as well. It will not restore and just hangs after initiating and :gathering the info in which to do the restore"

Also: investigated the firewall issued and made sureTM 2008 recognised the upload progs, sites & files - NO help

Investigatesd TM and the idea that it is a Recycler virus - the suggesd solutions are update manually and the same circular results occur.

THe TM Hijack This led me here and th elogs are attached for your sharp eyes.

Thanks in advance for your consider thoughts and solutions. It is very much appreciated.

Regards

Neal

Attached Files

Edited by Nealus, 06 February 2009 - 08:50 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nealus

Nealus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 AM

Posted 08 February 2009 - 07:34 PM

Thanks for all those who LOOKED and conseidered responding.

The problem has been solved.

Don't give it another thought.

Regards

N

#3 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 17 February 2009 - 12:39 PM

Thanks for informing us.

This Topic is closed.

Should you need it reopened, please contact a Forum Moderator. Include the address of this thread in your request.

If you have a new issue, please start a New Topic.

This applies only to the original poster. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

R,
K
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users