Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New PCs come with unwanted programs

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Tudordoc

Tudordoc

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 30 May 2005 - 06:38 AM

I am about to buy a new PC. I'll probably get another Dell having had 2 so far without problems.

New Dells always come pre-loaded with a load of programs and trial software. LAst time I just manually uninstalled as much as I could and went to msconfig to minimise the number of programs running at startup. I wonder in fact if it would not be better just to reformat the disc and install XP and start with the PC nice and clean

Any thoughts?

Thanks

TudorDoc

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Whisky56

Whisky56

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2005 - 08:29 AM

That worked for me.
I just got a new Dell at my work. It came with Windows XP Home a loads of other stuff. What ever the basic install would be from dell for a small office machine.
We have a business license for our office so the new machine was formated and loaded for my use.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2005 - 10:38 AM

I have to agree.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 30 May 2005 - 02:42 PM

I'm not sure, since they tend to change the way they do things, but I think that the BIOS-locked activation only works with Dell disks. If it were me, I think I'd just uninstall what I didn't want. I'm not particularly crazy about Dell's backdoor into your computer. I've seen ads from Dell pop out from the side of the screen advising you to install Weatherbug.

#5 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 30 May 2005 - 03:13 PM

I vote to wipe the drive and start fresh. When your computer arrives, don't activate XP yet. Wait until you install it manually. Also, visit Dell's support site to get the lastest drivers. Microsoft will send you a SP2 CD if you ask too. My 2 cents.

Good luck,

Rigel

PS... By doing the clean install, you lose any extra software that you may want.... Office products, Works products.

Edited by rigelslight, 30 May 2005 - 03:16 PM.

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users