Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop Graphics...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Tha7!

Tha7!

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 06 February 2009 - 06:10 PM

so i have a Radeon FireGL v3100 workstation graphics card (has vga output as well) my question is, does it have functionality for PC desktops? it's a 128mb card and was thinking of throwing it in a buddy's computer who's running a Geforce2 64mb card...i'm just not sure if since it's designed for workstations if it's going to have the functionality that you want from a desktop

Edited by Tha7!, 06 February 2009 - 06:16 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ellypho

Ellypho

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 06 February 2009 - 07:04 PM

Comps a comp just aslong as it`s the same bus. It could be either AGP(many variants), PCI or PCI-E. Worst case scenerio if you dont know and are too lazy to check and see the difference you can take the card and see if it fit's in the slot. Remember to uninstall the orl GPU drivers before installing the new ones.

Best of luck!
Lyph
CompTIA A+ certified

#3 Tha7!

Tha7!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2009 - 07:12 PM

aiight so it's pci-express, i'm downloading ati supplied drivers, everything i can find on the card is all about workstation applications...i'm sure it'll function, but i'm wondering about the actual performance since it's stated that it's designed specifically for workstation applications all over the place

#4 Tha7!

Tha7!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2009 - 07:44 PM

well it certainly functions, not sure if it's on par for performance yet but it does function...i'm wondering if it's going to be capable running games

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 AM

Posted 06 February 2009 - 09:09 PM

well, theres one way to find out lol. in essence its a video card, it has memory, a GPU, etc. etc just like a regular PC video card. so have fun :D

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users