Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Extending the rangeg of my wireless network

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Tudordoc

Tudordoc

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 30 May 2005 - 06:30 AM

I have a D-Link 614+ wireless router. I am considering the purchase of a wireless music system such as the Roku M1000. I think that the signal is too weak where I want to have the network music player. I have already put a bigger aerial onto the router. What is the best way to get a strong signal to the back of my house (without moving the router of course)

Thanks

TudorDoc

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lucent

lucent

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 PM

Posted 30 May 2005 - 08:29 AM

hey tudordoc, depending on your financial situation you could purchase an access point to repeat/enhance your range aside from that i don't know, that was just the first thing that came to mind. Looks like a nifty little unit, might have to look into something simillar myself!

Edited by lucent, 30 May 2005 - 08:29 AM.

Posted Image
Special thanks to efizzer for the signature

#3 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 31 May 2005 - 07:46 AM

Well my first suggestion is possibly what Lucent meant - if it's not too difficult run a Cat5E or Cat6 cable to near the "back of the house". Connect one end to your router and the other end to a WAP, which will then extend your wireless coverage.

Alternatively Netgear now have a 'Rangemax' family of products which are supposed to cover up to 500,000 sq.feet, replacing your router with one of these products may solve your problem.

hth :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#4 Tudordoc

Tudordoc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2005 - 05:01 PM

I have since discovered a Belkin MIMO router from a UK company that looks as if it will do what I want. I'll let you know if I get it how it works

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/Revie...&ShopGroupID=38

Thanks

TudorDoc

#5 pchartwell

pchartwell

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 01 June 2005 - 01:23 PM

Start by making sure the wireless router is up off the ground and not surrounded by metal or hard wood. Wireless will go pretty well through dry wall; what you might want to consider is mounting it up on an interior wall at about head high.

#6 Tudordoc

Tudordoc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2005 - 04:56 PM

Here's an answer to my own question. My work has exchanged my old 1st generation Compaq Tablet for a new Toshiba Portege M300. Not only can I now get a wireless signal throughout my house, but I can now get my neighbours enencrypted signal too.

#7 pchartwell

pchartwell

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 15 June 2005 - 11:12 AM

Good show. Don't worry about getting signal from your neighbor. What you can do is go into your network properties, wireless adapter properties and sort out the preferred networks order; just be sure your own is at the top of the list. There is a slight chance that you could confuse your adapter/pc from time to time if both you and your neighbor have selected the same SSID channel for wireless but if you're staying connected to your own network you don't need to worry about it 'seeing' theirs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users