Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Memory Issues

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 patbox

patbox

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 06 February 2009 - 05:19 PM

Hello,

I have few questions related to XP Memory

first when i click the taskmanager, in the processes tab I see all the processes running and how much memory they use. If I sum up all the processes together, it will be like 150 MB, but in the performancetab, I see that my PC is using more than 300MB. what is using the extra 150mb if not those proceses?

second if I have 2 gb ram available, and my PC uses 500 of it, will my PC speed up if I get my pc to 300mb, or the speed does not matter until I have free ram available?

thanks for advice,

cheers,
patbox

Edited by patbox, 06 February 2009 - 06:08 PM.

Message from Patbox: I AM LOOKING FOR A GIRLFRIEND (PM if interested) :-)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RknRusty

RknRusty

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 06 February 2009 - 10:40 PM

I know my onboard ATI video robs 128MB of RAM for its own use. If I installed a video card with its own built in memory, I would get the 128 meg back. Maybe it's your video card. Don't expect an exact reading on memory usage either. There may be some other services running that you can not see in Task Manager too.

You should get process Explorer.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb896653.aspx.
It gives you a lot more information. Set its preferences to hijack Task Manager, so it takes its place.

Also from the same site, get AutoRuns. You can turn processes on and off and decide what's necessary to tune your system. That's the best way to keep a lean machine. With both programs, you can click on any process and Google it before you decide what it is and what to do with it.
Be careful.

#3 patbox

patbox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 14 February 2009 - 04:55 PM

is there a way to find out how much RAM each part of the PC consumes?
Message from Patbox: I AM LOOKING FOR A GIRLFRIEND (PM if interested) :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users