Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

unable to connect to internet

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 eddiewa

eddiewa

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 06 February 2009 - 05:03 PM

Unable to connect to the internet

I am using two computers in a network setup - one is Vista Home Premium operated and the other is XP professional.

Until three days ago I was able to connect to the Internet using a Router setup on the Vista machine and a wireless connection on the XP. Overnight something changed and when I started the Vista machine next day I received the message that no networks were available - the XP machine was also not receiving any signal. By unplugging the hard wire from the computer I was then able to receive a connection on the XP machine. After shutting down and disconnecting the Router I then attempted to run the WRT54G router setup wizard ver.8 - setup proceeded OK and the internet and LED lights were all lit - however at stage 8 after checking for computer settings I received the error message:

"unable to connect to the router - check that the router has been connected to the computer and that your ethernet adapter is working"

again by removing the hard wire connection I was able to receive a connection on the XP machine.

I have tried extensively to Google for a answer to the problem - which by the results seems to be quite an extensive problem to a lot of guys - but being a "Newbie" a lot of the answers may as well be in a foreign language!

I did try to install and use a wireless card on the Vista machine but this still resulted in no connection to the Internet.

I assume that some configuration setting (s) has been changed somehow but short of reinstalling Vista I am at a loss how to proceed. Hopefully some kind soul will be able to help in terms that I can easily understand.

Regards and thanks to all

Edited by The weatherman, 06 February 2009 - 05:19 PM.
Moved to a more appropriate forum ~TW

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Desion

Desion

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 14 February 2009 - 07:40 PM

So if i understand correctly, you cannot get a wireless internet connection whenever your ethernet cable is plugged in from computer to router, but then when you unplug the cable, the wireless internet connection starts working?

I will do my best to help you with this issue. :thumbsup:
Interesting Links:
Softpedia - Online downloads encyclopedia
W3Schools - Website Programming Tutorials
PC World - Everything about technology
Wikipedia - Online Encyclopedia
Photobucket - Free Image Hosting

"I don't support network bridges, they support me."

#3 eddiewa

eddiewa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 21 February 2009 - 02:34 PM

Thanks Desion --

for your reply and I am sorry that I have not answered before - the reason - I hit a brick wall with the problem and because I could not use the router and vista I decided that maybe the best route would be to reinstall..........................

Of course that was a very drastic step and I am still recovering.............

I rather think a lot to do with the problem was the wireless connection service that I was using from Xplornet - 2 hours with their techies on the phone was enough to convince me that they didn't really know any more than me and I was digging a deeper hole :-)

Anyway thanks for trying to help

Much appreciated

Ed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users