Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can storing audio files on a mp3 player lower the sound quality?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Lacquer Head

Lacquer Head

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 06 February 2009 - 03:58 PM

i've run out of space in my pc and flash drives to store anymore files so im using my mp3 player. question is, will storing tehm in it lower the sound quality when i move the audio files back on my pc?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,808 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 06 February 2009 - 06:28 PM

If the files are simply copied across without any conversion, then no, you won't lose any quality.

If the files are converted to a lower quality format when they are transferred to the mp3 player, eg .wav files to .mp3, or high bitrate mp3 to lower bitrate, then the sound quality will be lower, and cannot be recovered from the converted files if the higher quality originals are deleted.
Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users