Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

VIRUS IN USB

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 darlingangel

darlingangel

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 06 February 2009 - 02:09 PM

Hi everyone, You are doing an yeomen service to all of us. MAY GOD BLESS YOU ALL.

Now the problem is my USB drive is infected, I donot know the name of the virus.
When I open it, I see one folder named as 'NEW FOLDER' with no contents inside, automatically opens. Even when I click on it it will not open.
Second thing is when I click on other folders, inside another folder with the same name opens again. It is also of 621 kb in size.

When I want to remove the USB Drive, and click the icon to safely remove it, it reports some generic items use the USB and cannot be removed now. The light keeps blinking in the drive.

PLEASE HELP ME

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 czhang

czhang

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2009 - 02:25 PM

If you have access to another computer that has anti-virus software installed, you can connect your USB drive to that computer and use that software to scan your USB drive for virus.

If you don't have access, try to download AVG free anti-virus from the following link:
http://free.avg.com/

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 06 February 2009 - 05:30 PM

Please download Flash_Disinfector.exe by sUBs and save it to your desktop.
  • Double-click Flash_Disinfector.exe to run it and follow any prompts that may appear. Be sure the USB device is attached to your computer
  • The utility may ask you to insert your flash drive and/or other removable drives. Please do so and allow the utility to clean up those drives as well.
  • Hold down the Shift key when inserting the drive until Windows detects it to keep autorun.inf from executing if it is present.
  • Wait until it has finished scanning and then exit the program.
  • Reboot your computer when done.
Note: As part of its routine, Flash_Disinfector will create a hidden folder named autorun.inf in each partition and every USB drive that was plugged in when you ran it. Do not delete this folder...it will help protect your drives from future infection by keeping the autorun file from being installed on the root drive and running other malicious files.

Edited by garmanma, 06 February 2009 - 05:32 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 czhang

czhang

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2009 - 05:47 PM

There seems to be a virus or other forbidden thing in the linked Flash_Disinfector.exe. McAfee Enterprise edition wouldn't allow me to download and save the file.

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2009 - 10:06 AM

That's a false positive. McAfee is good for that
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#6 czhang

czhang

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2009 - 10:26 AM

I also hope it is a false positive.

I reported that from my Lab computer, which ran McAfee Enterprise version. I have encountered some false positives before. But then again, I have not been troubled by virus on that computer.

I trust your recommendation, garmanma, but I would suggest using some anti-virus software suite. Because computer viruses are evolving and sometimes pretty fastly, and the virus definition would also have to be amended to keep up with the virus evolution to be able to protect computer systems and USB drives, etc. One program simply cannot do it all and do it forever.

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2009 - 05:27 PM

If you looked at the Note at the end of the Flash Disinfector post, you will note the the app leaves a file on the drive named autorun.inf
This is what Norton is flagging as a virus
Any more questions please start you own thread. You've hijacked this one and the OP has never responded back
Mark
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users