Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

blank.exe

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nursejune53

nursejune53

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 AM

Posted 30 May 2005 - 05:32 AM

A friend sent me some photos as attachemnts but although I can download them into a photo, I cannot open them as 'blank.exe missing' is displayed on the screen. I've been able to open this type of attachment before without any problem. Any ideas? Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 30 May 2005 - 09:07 PM

That seems very weird. You sure these are legit photos and not viruses?

#3 mmueller122j

mmueller122j

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 AM

Posted 14 June 2005 - 05:00 PM

It may seem weird but I have exactly the same problem. My computer is configured so graphics files with extensions such as jpg, gif open with a program called Cshow. Also, files with the txt extension are opened with the program uuedit. Recnetly Win98se is returning a message, when I attemp to open such files, that it cannot open the files becasue it cannot find the file blank.exe. If I run cshow or uuendit first and then use their open command on the files in question they open with no problem. It appears something has inferferred with the file association mechanism. I put an empty file named blank.exe in the root directory. Now windows gives the message that it is not a win32 application. any ideas?

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 15 June 2005 - 04:19 PM

Download RegSrch.zip from here:

http://billsway.com/vbspage/vbsfiles/RegSrch.zip

Unzip it and then double-click on the regsrch.vbs file. When it runs it will prompt you for a string to search for. Enter blank.exe into that field and press enter.

It will run for a while silently and then create a report. Please paste the contents of that report into a reply to this topic.

*Note: If you have Norton script blocking installed, disable it or allow the script to run or this tool won't work!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users