Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AVG scan

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 littlebit

littlebit

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 AM

Posted 06 February 2009 - 12:44 PM

I am new to Avg, when I do a scan and look it says no threat but lots of warnings.

Under the warning there are lots of files that say found tracking cookies - moved to virus vault. Could you tell me if I should delete or do nothing? If I am to delete them should it be from the virus vault or warning? Sometimes they just show in the warning but not in the vault.

Also I can't find anywhere on the web site that shows me just what the symbols mean that are next to the items in the vault or logs.

thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 07 February 2009 - 12:05 PM

Hello.

Cookies technically can not do any harm. They cannot install malware or cause trouble. Security programs usually warn you about them because they can be a privacy problem. Some cookies can track what you do and therefore can sometimes be considered a "spyware" also known as "tracking cookies".

Some reading regards to cookies and privacy related topics are followed:

What are Cookies? and Cookies related to privacy risk. These types of cookies are used to track your Web browsing habits (your movement from site to site).
As long as you surf the Internet, you are going to get cookies and some of your security programs will flag them for removal. However, you can minimize this by reading "Blocking & Managing Unwanted Cookies" and "Block Third-Party Cookies in IE7".

The symbols on AVG isn't that important. The most important is what it's flagging and what the infection is called and the file location your security program is flagging. Most files in the %TEMP% folder aren't really dangerous but best to remove them if your security program detected it as malware.

With Regards,
Extremeboy
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users