Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying to install Norton Save and Restore 2.0

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 RknRusty

RknRusty

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 06 February 2009 - 12:28 PM

I am running Windows XP SP3
I want to install Norton Save and Restore, and the system requirements include .net framework 2.0. My Add/Remove Programs lists .net 1.1, so I guess I do need to get .net 2.0. I went to the following page to download it, but it's unclear which link to click for the required download. [http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=0856eacb-4362-4b0d-8edd-aab15c5e04f5&displaylang=en]
At the bottom of the page there are several links. The closest one looks to me like [Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 1 (x86)]. Is this the right one?
Also, that page says I need Windows Installer 3.0, and 3.1 is recommended. I don't know how to determine what version of Installer I have.

Can someone help out with this?

Another issue is that in addition to the $49.99 price, it forces me to subscribe to an $8.99 extended backup service to store my download for a year with Digital River. If I make backups of my installation file, why is this forced on me?

None of the stores in my town have a boxed copy of this software.

Thanks,
Rusty

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 PM

Posted 06 February 2009 - 12:45 PM

If you look at the page you will see the title at the top "Microsoft .NET Framework Version 2.0 Redistributable Package", just below that there is a brief description, and below that is On This Page, and immediately under the links for On This Page it the button for Download. This is what you click on to start the download.

By the way, check out the price for this at this site, $25.00! The following is part of the review at cnet... The bad: Symantec does not offer adequate technical support for Norton Save & Restore and misleadingly pitches other Symantec products you may not need. Makes you wonder if you really need Digital River.

Edited by dc3, 06 February 2009 - 12:57 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 RknRusty

RknRusty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 06 February 2009 - 04:15 PM

Thanks for that link. After reading all 22 reviews, there is no way I am ever going to try this software!

I wanted to purchase Acronis instead. I used their 30 day trial version to transfer the image of my old drive over to my new one last month. I then un-installed it. I wish now I had not. After un-installing Acroniis, I saw how many entries were in the registry, and stupidly tried to strip it all out, which caused a system crash with a BSOD when Windows begins to load. I reverted back to the previous working configuration and the computer is fine, however Acronis won't re-install. Every time I try, it runs a repair instead of an install, and the EXE file does not come with it. I'm afraid to buy it for fear it won't work and I'll be stuck with it.

I have the two year old OEM Nero, but it doesn't seem to be dependable at all. There is nothing good about it on any message boards.

Thanks
Rusty

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users