Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer won't boot

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 KarenZ

KarenZ

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 06 February 2009 - 12:10 PM

Lately my computer usually won't boot after it's been off for a number of hours. Only the fans and lights come on. It stops at post code C1. Usually there is no beep code, but occasionally it will beep one long, pause, one long, pause, etc. When it doesn't start, turning off the computer requires holding down the button for 30 seconds, where normally a quick tap would suffice. Clearing the CMOS, or removing and reinstallng the ram, or pure luck, will get it started. Once started, it can be restarted as often as I want, with no problem. It also runs perfectly once started. But then in the morning, after it's been off all night, it again won't boot up.

The computer is one year old, and has run with no problems the entire time.

Abit IP35 Pro
Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66GHz
Cooler Master Real Power Pro 650 W
Crucial Ballistix 4 GB (4x1 GB) DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
BFG Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer
dual booted with:
Vista 64-bit Home
XP Home

At wit's end, I took it to a computer repair place. The computer techs gave up. Memory and power supply have been tested. All okay. It's hard to diagnose, because you have to let it sit at least one night for each step. Even then, it randomly does boot, and then it won't the next time.

Does anyone have an idea?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,251 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 06 February 2009 - 01:29 PM

I'd replace the motherboard...only because that's cheaper/quicker than paying someone to test it for days on end.

If new motherboard doesn't work, then at least I have a valid point of reference in what is NOT wrong.

That's just the way I would approach a situation like yours...I hate inconclusive PC scenarios.

Louis

#3 SLIX

SLIX

• Members
  • 380 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 AM

Posted 06 February 2009 - 01:55 PM

Hi

See this http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=12635491
It describes the same problem you have and it occured on the same motherboard and memory.

Hope this is helpful.
Steve

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 07 February 2009 - 01:29 PM

I am pretty sure you have a bad bearing in a fan and a marginal power supply, this can be aggrevated by dirt

Hold the power button in for 4 seconds to shutdown after a failed cold boot

Cold weather and rooms?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#5 KarenZ

KarenZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 07 February 2009 - 03:59 PM

The problem is solved. I only inserted one stick of RAM at a time to test. It became very obvious that there was one bad stick. The computer repair person I had taken it to only used MemTest 86 for testing the memory. This morning the computer booted up minus the bad stick of RAM with no problem.
Thanks

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,251 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 07 February 2009 - 04:36 PM

Hmm...Memtest should have found a bad stick if the tests had been conducted with each stick singly and with both sticks in original slots and then switched.

In any case, good work on your part...happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

#7 emucade

emucade

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 07 February 2009 - 07:30 PM

sounds like the bios.
" If you want to be the best you better learn how do defend yourself,
Because when you are the best everybody wants to kick you’re a** "
My Dad 1986