Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help : Unknown Issue

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dmndmn

dmndmn

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 06 February 2009 - 09:48 AM

Hi there,
I'm stuck with a very odd problem. So to begin with, I had a system with the following basic specifications :

AMD 4200+ @ 2.20 Ghz
2 GB DDR-2 @ 667Mhz Ram
1 GB DDR-2 8600GT
80 GB WD HDD

I Used to keep it up and running all the time, usually downloading stuff and gaming. One unfortunate day due to a power surge, my system went kaput. It Used to work fine for like half an hour then it would start re-starting randomly, the funny thing was it would restart while restarting :thumbsup: So anyhow, got my computer engineer to ascertain the cause. Had to repair the motherboard and the monitor, but the problem persisted and finally ended up using the "trial and error" method, replaced and alternated with all the hardware components, and finally arrived at a problem with the CPU. So i went in for a new AMD Athlon X2 5200+ @ 2.70 Ghz . But before that the engineer had kept the system with him for testing and had plugged in his 4800+ the entire night to make sure it was the CPU fault and it worked fine, so got the 5200+. Then the next day it'd shut down after about 3 hours, so then updated the BIOS ( Flashed it and did a live update @ MSI.com ), and then it started working just fine, only problem is that now there seems to be some weird display glitches. Command And Conquer : Generals & Zero Hour And NFS : Undercover work fine but Far Cry 2 and Crysis : Warhead have some issues, while starting up, it seems to go into a framing frenzy, what happens is it completely hangs for like 5-10 seconds, then it resumes and runs fine for another coupe of seconds then same story keeps repeating itself which makes it absolutely impossible to play. These games used to work fine with the previous 4200+ , so 'm wondering if it's a probelm with my processor or Graphics card ( the same above mentioned 8600GT ). And also the Steam client takes a few seconds to react properly, the same way as for the before mentioned games. What could be the problem. All the drivers have been updated completely and the directx 'm using came with Undercover. :flowers:

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

:trumpet:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 06 February 2009 - 09:24 PM

I know you said the drivers are updated, but you should try uninstalling them completely, removing all files that have to do with them, and then download and reinstall the latest from the Nvidia website.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 dmndmn

dmndmn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2009 - 12:07 AM

I know you said the drivers are updated, but you should try uninstalling them completely, removing all files that have to do with them, and then download and reinstall the latest from the Nvidia website.

Hey. Thanks for the quick reply. :flowers:
K, i did as u instructed, the problem persisted, so what i did was i took out the Card, left my computer on onboard GPU ( ATI x1250 ) the entire night, and just now i reseated the card, uninstalled and re-installed the latest drivers along with the PhysX software, but the problem just doesnt seem to go away :thumbsup: .

I'm gonna try re-installing the OS, and re-installing everything after that and 'll update later with my progress.

Once again thanks.

#4 dmndmn

dmndmn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2009 - 08:37 AM

I can't seem to find my XP cd :thumbsup: seems to be misplaced. I Will keep searching for it though. In the time-being, does anyone have an idea as to what could be causing these problems. Maybe a RAM module or GPU problem..??? Oh and also VLC Player stutters while playing a video too. And in undercover at a certain point in the game after a movie sequence, during the fade-out, the game just hangs, it works fine uptill that point, i can Alt+Tab and the process manager shows it as"running" and not "not responding". And then when i terminate the process manually throught Process manager , it does end the game but the following message comes up before that.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'm sure it's related to the previous problem. I'm totally at a loss for any solution. :flowers: :trumpet:

Any help would be appreciated. I'm dying here :inlove:

Thanks in advance.

Edited by dmndmn, 07 February 2009 - 08:52 AM.

#5 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 10 February 2009 - 07:02 PM

I just realized you said the games that are causing you problems are Crysis and Far Cry 2. Your computer isn't really good enough to run these games well. Have you tried turning down the graphics settings?
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users