Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop keeps rebooting and cant even start in safe mode - help!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 goalc

goalc

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 06 February 2009 - 06:09 AM

Hi, I am new here and hope someone can help....

Last night my sons laptop (that he has his homework on!) started acting funny. It is an Acer laptop running XP Media Centre with a FAT 32 file system.

The problem is that when you boot it up, it says that there is a problem with one of the disks and it needs to be checked for consistency, and then does a disk check. Once this is complete, it goes to the windows log on page, and then when you log a user on I get a blue screen flash up and it reboots and goes through the whole process again.

After reading several other posts on this, I have tried to reboot in safe mode so I can then try and see what the problem is, but as it is loading and gets to a file called agpcpq.sys it just hangs there and wont even boot into safe mode!

I have tried booting in vga mode as well (as I thought it may be a problem with the video drivers) but I get the same thing happen. I then booted into the mode "Disable auto restart on system failure" and I still get the blue screen once windows has loaded, but it stops here and it says that there is Page_Fault_in_Nonpaged_Area, and at this point the whole laptop hangs.

So basically there does not appear to be anyway to get the laptop running so that I can try and figure out what is going on.

The laptop is about 15 months old and has never had a problem until this started last night. I regulalry run AVG / Spybot etc etc so I dont think that this could be a virus (or could it?) and I am thinking it may be more of a hardware or driver fault?

If anyone has any advice on what I can do to remedy this it would be most appreciated!!

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,600 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 06 February 2009 - 06:19 AM

Hi goalc, and welcome to BleepingComputer.

Have you tried the Last Known Good Configuration?

If this doesn't work and you have the installation CD for the operating system you can try using the Recovery Console.

Note: You may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the CD-ROM is the first device in the boot order to be able to boot from the Windows installation disk.

To run the Recovery Console from the Windows XP startup disks or the Windows XP CD-ROM, follow these steps:

1. Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.

Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted.

2. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.

3. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the]Recovery Console.

4. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

5. At the command prompt, type chkdsk /r , and then press ENTER.

6. To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 goalc

goalc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2009 - 06:30 AM

Hi, thanks for the reply.

yes, I tried the last good configuration option and got the same thing.... I'll try and find the installation CD and try what you suggest.

cheers
goalc

#4 goalc

goalc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2009 - 07:05 AM

yikes! I dont have the disk and I just spoke to Acer and they say that they dont provide one and there is an inbuilt recovery program, but apparantly this overwrites everything and I will lose all my data on the drive!!

is there any other way around if I dont have the disk?

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,600 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 06 February 2009 - 11:32 AM

If you can borrow a installation CD from someone you can use it to access the Recovery Console. You will have to make sure that it is the same version as you have, Home or Pro.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users