Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox and Other Web Browsers Won't Load, But Other Programs Will

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jade Knight

Jade Knight

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 AM

Posted 05 February 2009 - 11:54 PM

Today our power got cut off and we got it running again, and started it up like normal. Firefox won't load but programs like AOL will. Also I'm connected by a router and the other connectors are fine. I tried restarting the computer, the modem, even the permissions, but no dice. Anyone have any idea or had a similar experience? :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 06 February 2009 - 12:18 PM

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_:_Issues...Won%27t_Startup

#3 Jade Knight

Jade Knight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 AM

Posted 08 February 2009 - 02:19 AM

I tried this link and I tried everything on there to help the problem but nothing is working. Today firefox just started working randomly without me doing anything. But it brutally slow, would freeze and lag often. I even tried IE and that was even worst, ten times worst. I'm not sure what brought this on, this has never happened before. My lights went out and that is when it started. Whenever the lights or computer would go off I would get connection issues but never browser problems.

#4 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2009 - 09:52 AM

Hi Jade Knight,

Sorry to hear you are still having problems.

On the lights went out issue - ever considered getting an uninterruptible power supply (UPS) to avoid the power failure hard crash? Hard crashes can cause file corruption, loss of data and other headaches.

On the brutally slow and freezes computer problem, with both Internet explorer browser and firefox browser, this can be caused by a number of issues:
1-badly defragged computer - regularly defragging will speed up your computer
2 -too many startup programs - take a look at what is starting up and always running in the background
3 -if you don't already use a tool like ATF Cleaner to clean out temp files
http://majorgeeks.com/ATF_Cleaner_d4949.html

Lots more issues can cause a slow computer see this for more help
Slow Computer/browser? Check Here First; It May Not Be Malware
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/87058/slow-computerbrowser-check-here-first;-it-may-not-be-malware/

tork

#5 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2009 - 07:52 PM

If this was recent, a system restore could possibly help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users