Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Infected by Services.exe / Backdoor.ProRat / TROJ_MYDOOM.CV and it reappears as soon as pc connects to internet

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 whizzer

whizzer

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 05 February 2009 - 11:02 PM

Hello,
I am working on WindowsXP Prof SP3 with all the latest windows updates and hotfixes installed on my laptop.
I also have following four security softwares installed:
1. Trend Micro Office Scan
2. Lavasoft Ad-Aware SE Prof
3. Malwarebytes' Anti-malware
4. Windows Defender
The virus definition files for each one of them have been updated as of 04-Feb-2009.

The laptop recently somehow got infected with few malwares. I did a full system scan with each one of the above and removed all the infected files found by them. Malwarebytes' reported the infection of Backdoor.ProRat on c:\windows\services.exe file and tried to delete the file. It asked for reboot and the file got deleted after reboot and the system was clean. However, as soon as i connected internet, within a few minutes Trend Micro reported an infection of TROJ_SMALL.MSZ on c:\windows\bnacbrxt.exe file and quarantined it, but the laptop got automatically shutdown and restarted. Thereafter, once rebooted, Trend Micro again showed infection of TROJ_AGENT.ALHH and TROJ_MYDOOM.CV on c:\windows\system32\34.tmp and c:\windows\system32\undname.exe files respectively and it even quarantined them. Meanwhile, the Lavasoft Ad-Watch monitoring service, started showing that a process is making continuous attempts to add the registry entry of "c:\windows\services.exe" for the key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\run". The lavasoft adwatch service keeps blocking these attempts, almost at a pace of once every second. At this point, the TaskManager shows two instances of "services.exe" process and one instance of "cmd.exe" process. It doesnot allow ending the services.exe process, but cmd.exe can be killed.

Now if i scan again with malwarebytes, it will again detect Backdoor.ProRat on c:\windows\services.exe and will delete it after reboot. But if i connect internet again, the laptop again gets infected in the exact same fashion as stated above with the exception that the name of the .tmp and .exe files keep changing. However, if I donot connect to internet, there is no infection and laptop works fine as long as it is offline.

Please find below the log of HijackThis. I am also attaching both the logs generated by dds.scr utility.

Kindly let me know if any further information is required. I will really appreciate and be grateful for any help on getting the laptop clean.

Thanks and Regards.

P.S. I am also attaching all the log files of various virus/spyware detected by TrendMicro in last 15 days. (TrendMicro Scan Logs.zip)

=============================
Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 10:22:01 PM, on 2/5/2009
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16762)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MsMpEng.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\agrsmsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Quest Software\Benchmark Factory for Databases\Repository\MySQL\bin\mysqld-max-nt.exe
C:\Program Files\Juniper Networks\Common Files\dsNcService.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel NetStructure VPN Client\icsrv.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\OfficeScan Client\ntrtscan.exe
C:\Program Files\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\PGPserv.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\OfficeScan Client\tmlisten.exe
C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\HH3A6D.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\OfficeScan Client\CNTAoSMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxsrvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Fingerprint Sensor\ATSwpNav.exe
C:\WINDOWS\AGRSMMSG.exe
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\PDVDServ.exe
C:\Program Files\Fujitsu\Fujitsu Hotkey Utility\IndicatorUty.exe
C:\Program Files\Fujitsu\FUJ02E3\FUJ02E3.exe
C:\Program Files\Fujitsu\Application Panel\QuickTouch.exe
C:\Program Files\Fujitsu\BtnHnd\BtnHnd.exe
C:\Program Files\Fujitsu\SSUtility\FJSSDMN.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\OfficeScan Client\Pccntmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware SE Professional\Ad-Watch.exe
C:\Program Files\Google\Google Talk\googletalk.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\RTHDCPL.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\Program Files\PGP Corporation\PGP Desktop\PGPtray.exe
C:\Program Files\PGP Corporation\PGP Desktop\PGPfsd.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WLLoginProxy.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\NOTEPAD.EXE
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\OfficeScan Client\pccnt.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\chamaras\Desktop\HiJackThis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = about:blank
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Microsoft Internet Explorer provided by Fujitsu Consulting
F2 - REG:system.ini: UserInit=c:\windows\system32\userinit.exe,C:\WINDOWS\system32\regwiz.exe,C:\WINDOWS\system32\ndetect.exe,C:\WINDOWS\system32\i386kd.exe,C:\WINDOWS\system32\gcc.exe,C:\WINDOWS\system32\undname.exe,C:\WINDOWS\system32\regwiz.exe,C:\WINDOWS\system32\c++.exe,C:\WINDOWS\system32\ndetect.exe,C:\WINDOWS\system32\regwiz.exe,C:\WINDOWS\system32\7z.exe,C:\WINDOWS\system32\undname.exe,C:\WINDOWS\system32\idaw64.exe,C:\WINDOWS\system32\hhupd.exe,C:\WINDOWS\system32\hhupd.exe,C:\WINDOWS\system32\regwiz.exe,C:\WINDOWS\system32\c++.exe,C:\WINDOWS\system32\pdbcopy.exe,
O2 - BHO: Java™ Plug-In SSV Helper - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {7E853D72-626A-48EC-A868-BA8D5E23E045} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: Windows Live Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Persistence] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATSwpNav] "C:\Program Files\Fingerprint Sensor\ATSwpNav" -run
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AGRSMMSG] AGRSMMSG.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPEnh] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RemoteControl] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\PDVDServ.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IndicatorUtility] C:\Program Files\Fujitsu\Fujitsu Hotkey Utility\IndicatorUty.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadFUJ02E3] C:\Program Files\Fujitsu\FUJ02E3\FUJ02E3.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadFujitsuQuickTouch] C:\Program Files\Fujitsu\Application Panel\QuickTouch.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadBtnHnd] C:\Program Files\Fujitsu\BtnHnd\BtnHnd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SSUtility] C:\Program Files\Fujitsu\SSUtility\FJSSDMN.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [OfficeScanNT Monitor] "C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\OfficeScan Client\Pccntmon.exe" -HideWindow
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe" -hide
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AWMON] "C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware SE Professional\Ad-Watch.exe" +prefs:"C:\Documents and Settings\%USERNAME%\Application Data\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\awsettings.awc"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [googletalk] C:\Program Files\Google\Google Talk\googletalk.exe /autostart
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RTHDCPL] RTHDCPL.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Alcmtr] ALCMTR.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [wextract_cleanup0] rundll32.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\advpack.dll,DelNodeRunDLL32 "C:\DOCUME~1\chamaras\LOCALS~1\Temp\IXP000.TMP\"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [CleanSetup] cmd /C rmdir /S /Q "C:\Documents and Settings\chamaras\Local Settings\Temp\nro.tmp\"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [LDCdBldr] Regsvr32.exe /s "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ulead Systems\DVD\LDCdBldr.dll"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware] C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe /install /silent
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (reboot)] "C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe" /runcleanupscript
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Taskbar Manager] C:\Program Files\Askarya Taskbar Manager\TaskbarManager.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [AWMON] "C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware SE Professional\Ad-Watch.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Policies\Explorer\Run: [services] C:\WINDOWS\services.exe
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [tjyytiop.exe] C:\WINDOWS\tjyytiop.exe (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [services] C:\WINDOWS\services.exe (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Policies\Explorer\Run: [services] C:\WINDOWS\services.exe (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [tjyytiop.exe] C:\WINDOWS\tjyytiop.exe (User 'Default user')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Policies\Explorer\Run: [services] C:\WINDOWS\services.exe (User 'Default user')
O4 - Global Startup: PGPtray.exe.lnk = ?
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {09C04DA7-5B76-4EBC-BBEE-B25EAC5965F5} - C:\Program Files\Google\Google Gears\Internet Explorer\0.5.4.2\gears.dll (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: &Gears Settings - {09C04DA7-5B76-4EBC-BBEE-B25EAC5965F5} - C:\Program Files\Google\Google Gears\Internet Explorer\0.5.4.2\gears.dll (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.consulting-fujitsu.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.corp.fc.local
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.ind.fc.local
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.fc.fujitsu.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.fujitsu.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.km.local
O16 - DPF: {474F00F5-3853-492C-AC3A-476512BBC336} (UploadListView Class) - http://picasaweb.google.com/s/v/40.14/uploader2.cab
O16 - DPF: {4A3CBDDD-C4DC-4C38-B44F-704DAEF628AE} (PjAdoInfo3 Class) - http://spcmps01/ProjectServer/objects/pjclient.cab
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdat...b?1229392525875
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdat...b?1229392518296
O16 - DPF: {AF9A1421-E128-4D5F-A37E-039F305867B9} (Pj11enuC Class) - http://spcmps01/ProjectServer/objects/1033/pjcintl.cab
O16 - DPF: {B4CB50E4-0309-4906-86EA-10B6641C8392} - https://61.95.143.140/CSHELL/extender.cab
O16 - DPF: {D9CDEFE3-51BB-4737-A12C-53D9814A148C} (DAX Control) - https://sslvpn.consulting-fujitsu.com/exchw...cal,SSL+DAX.cab
O16 - DPF: {E06E2E99-0AA1-11D4-ABA6-0060082AA75C} (GpcContainer Class) - https://fcnbr.webex.com/client/T26L/webex/ieatgpc.cab
O16 - DPF: {E5F5D008-DD2C-4D32-977D-1A0ADF03058B} (JuniperSetupSP1 Control) - https://sslvpn.consulting-fujitsu.com/dana-...perSetupSP1.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: Domain = Corp.FC.LOCAL
O17 - HKLM\Software\..\Telephony: DomainName = Corp.FC.LOCAL
O17 - HKLM\System\CS1\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: Domain = Corp.FC.LOCAL
O17 - HKLM\System\CS1\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: NameServer = 10.77.52.236
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: NameServer = 10.77.52.236
O23 - Service: Agere Modem Call Progress Audio (AgereModemAudio) - Agere Systems - C:\WINDOWS\system32\agrsmsvc.exe
O23 - Service: BMFMySQL - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Quest Software\Benchmark Factory for Databases\Repository\MySQL\bin\mysqld-max-nt.exe
O23 - Service: Juniper Network Connect Service (dsNcService) - Juniper Networks - C:\Program Files\Juniper Networks\Common Files\dsNcService.exe
O23 - Service: Google Update Service (gupdate1c95c811125db40) (gupdate1c95c811125db40) - Google Inc. - C:\Program Files\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
O23 - Service: Intel® NetStructure™ VPN Client (ICService) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel NetStructure VPN Client\icsrv.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1050\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: Java Quick Starter (JavaQuickStarterService) - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
O23 - Service: OfficeScanNT RealTime Scan (ntrtscan) - Trend Micro Inc. - C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\OfficeScan Client\ntrtscan.exe
O23 - Service: PGPserv - PGP Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\PGPserv.exe
O23 - Service: ServiceLayer - Nokia. - C:\Program Files\PC Connectivity Solution\ServiceLayer.exe
O23 - Service: OfficeScan NT Listener (tmlisten) - Trend Micro Inc. - C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\OfficeScan Client\tmlisten.exe
O23 - Service: OfficeScan NT Proxy Service (TmProxy) - Trend Micro Inc. - C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\OfficeScan Client\TmProxy.exe

--
End of file - 12100 bytes

Attached Files

Edited by whizzer, 06 February 2009 - 09:52 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2009 - 11:23 AM

Hello.

Posted ImageBackdoor Threat

IMPORTANT NOTE: Unfortunatly One or more of the identified infections is a backdoor trojan.

This allows hackers to remotely control your computer, steal critical system information and download and execute files.

I would counsel you to disconnect this PC from the Internet immediately. If you do any banking or other financial transactions on the PC or if it should contain any other sensitive information, please get to a known clean computer and change all passwords where applicable, and it would be wise to contact those same financial institutions to apprise them of your situation.

Though the trojan has been identified and can be killed, because of it's backdoor functionality, your PC is very likely compromised and there is no way to be sure your computer can ever again be trusted. Many experts in the security community believe that once infected with this type of trojan, the best course of action would be a reformat and reinstall of the OS. Please read these for more information:

How Do I Handle Possible Identify Theft, Internet Fraud and CC Fraud?
When Should I Format, How Should I Reinstall

We can still clean this machine but I can't guarantee that it will be 100% secure afterwards. Let me know what you decide to do.

With Regards,
Extremeboy
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#3 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2009 - 08:43 PM

Hello.

Are you still there?

If you are please follow the instructions in my previous post.

If you still need help, follow the instructions I have given in my response. If you have since had your problem solved, we would appreciate you letting us know so we can close the topic.

Please reply back telling us so. If you don't reply within 5-7 days the topic will need to be closed.

Thanks for understanding. :thumbup2:

With Regards,
Extremeboy
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#4 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2009 - 05:26 PM

Hello.

Due to Lack of feedback, this topic is now Closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please Send Me a Message. In your message please include the address of this thread in your request.
This applies only to the original topic starter.

Everyone else please start a new topic in the Hijackthis-Malware Removal forum.

With Regards,
Extremeboy

#5 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2009 - 12:58 PM

Hello.

Topic re-opened upon user's request..

With Regards,
Extremeboy

#6 whizzer

whizzer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2009 - 11:26 PM

Hello extremeboy,
The reason why I was not able to reply to this post earlier is that the very next day after posting this topic, my ailing laptop got infected by a newly released virus named by Trendmicro as PE_VIRUX.A, which infected all the *.exe files and made that laptop totally unusable. I was not even able to logon to the laptop as even the winlogon.exe was corrupted by it. So I had to finally discard that laptop and now am using another one which has been freshly installed and setup.

However, I would still like to know, by what mechanism would you have tried to clean-up that infection. While I was infected, I kind of had a feeling that the infection was related to backdoors and I had even downloaded a utility called "Windows Worms Doors Cleaner" from http://www.firewallleaktester.com/wwdc.htm and tried closing all the unrequired ports. But seems that did not help.

I usually kind of consider myself to be a bit of advanced user with windows troubleshooting and usage, and it was the first time in last 5 years that I got infected, but getting this infection was an eyeopener towards the never ending threat of trojans.

I would really appreciate if you can share some more details regarding the infection I had, and the ways I could have prevented/cured it. Though the one question that will always remained unanswered is how did I actually get infected by it. :thumbup2:

Really appreciate all your help.

Best Regards.

#7 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2009 - 04:22 PM

Hello.

Virut is a very nasty infection. Once you have this infection the ONLY way to go is ---> FORMAT the computer.

This infection is not cureable. It infectes all .exe files and even if we removed/cure it your computer will be VERY unstable and will result in a reinstall and then a format anyways..

Posted ImageVirut File Infector Warning

Your system is infected with a polymorphic file infector called Virut. Virut is capable of infecting all the machine's executable files (.exe) and screensaver files (.scr) and also web pages (.html and .htm). However, the problem is that the virus has a number of bugs in its code, and as a result, it may misinfect a proportion of executable files and therefore, the files are corrupted beyond repair. As of now, security experts suggest that a clean Reinstall or Reformat is the only way to clean the infection and it is the only way to return the machine to its normal working state.

Backup all your documents and important items (personal data, work documents, etc) only. DO NOT backup any executable files (softwares) and screensavers (*.scr) or any web pages (*.html or *.htm). It attempts to infect any accessed .exe or .scr or .html/.htm files by appending itself to the executable.

Also, try to avoid backing up compressed files (zip/cab/rar) files that have .exe or .scr files inside them. Virut can penetrate and infect .exe files inside compressed files too.

More information on Virut can be found over here and here

Preventing these infections.

Preventing Infections in the Future

Please also have a look at the following links, giving some advice and Tips to protect yourself against malware and reduce the potential for re-infection:
  • Avoid gaming sites, underground web pages, pirated software sites, and peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing programs. They are a security risk which can make your computer susceptible to a smörgåsbord of malware infections, remote attacks, exposure of personal information, and identity theft. Many malicious worms and Trojans spread across P2P file sharing networks, gaming and underground sites. Users visiting such pages may see innocuous-looking banner ads containing code which can trigger pop-up ads and Flash ads that install viruses, Trojans and spyware. Ads are a target for hackers because they offer a stealthy way to distribute malware to a wide range of Internet users.
Disable Autorun on Flash-Drive/Removable Drives

When is AUTORUN.INF really an AUTORUN.INF?

USB worms work by creating a file called AUTORUN.INF on the root of USB drives. These INF files then use Autorun or Autoplay (not the same thing!) to execute themselves either when the stick is inserted, or more commonly, when the user double-clicks on the USB drive icon from My Computer (Windows Explorer)...

Keeping Autorun enabled on USB and other removable drives has become a significant security risk due to the increasing number of malware variants that can infect them and transfer the infection to your computer. Read USB-Based Malware Attacks and Please disable Autorun asap!.

If using Windows Vista, please refer to:
"Disable AutoPlay in Windows Vista"
"Preventing AutoPlay with Local Group Policy Editor or AutoPlay options panel"

Note: When Autorun is disabled, double-clicking a drive which has autorun.inf in its root directory may still activate Autorun so be careful.

Vist the WindowsUpdate Site Regularly

I recommend you regularly visit the Windows Update Site!
  • Lots of Hacking/Trojans use the methods found (plugged by the updates) that have not been stopped by people not updating.
  • Update ALL Critical updates and any other Windows updates for services/programs that you use.
  • If you wish to turn on automatic updates then you will find here is a nice little article about turning on automatic updates.
  • Note that it will download them for you, but you still have to actually click install.
Update Non-Microsoft Programs

It is also a good idea to check for the latest versions of commonly installed applications that are regularly patched to fix vulnerabilities. You can check these by visiting Secunia Software Inspector and Calendar of Updates.

Update all programs regularly - Make sure you update all the programs you have installed regularly. Without regular updates you WILL NOT be protected when new malicious programs are released.

Follow this list and your potential for being infected again will reduce dramatically.
Finally, and definitely the MOST IMPORTANT step, click on the following tutorial and follow each step listed there:

Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe and secure on the Internet

Glad I was able to help and thank you for choosing Bleeping Computer as you malware removal source.
Don't forget to tell your friends about us and Good luck :thumbup2:

With Regards,
Extremeboy

#8 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2009 - 04:09 PM

Hello.

Since the problem appears to be resolved, this topic is now Closed. Glad I could help :thumbup2:

Please start a new thread in the Hijackthis-Malware Removal forum and post a new DDS logs if you need help again. Due to the fact that I need to leave in a few days, I cannot continue to help you if you need it re-opened. If you require assistance again, start a new topic; Do Not PM me please.

This applies only to the original topic starter.

With Regards,
Extremeboy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users