Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Combofix won't restart computer

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 stealthspark

stealthspark

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 05 February 2009 - 10:59 PM

After ComboFix.exe finished running, it said Windows should restart...please wait.

I waited about an hour, and then did a hard reset.

I think I messed it all up (my time had not been corrected, it's still in 24 hour mode, also the Combofix.txt doesn't contain much information, also there was no mention from Combofix upon resetting)

I tried Combofix.exe again, and was still stuck on the part where the window says "Restarting Windows... Please wait." I waited 16 hours and it did not change, thus resulting in another manual restart; my time settings got messed up again!

I don't know why Combofix won't restart my computer to complete the process.... I tried researching the problem online but could find no solutions.

To whoever can help: thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 AM

Posted 05 February 2009 - 11:41 PM

ComboFix is an extremely powerful tool which should only be used when instructed to do so by someone who has been properly trained. ComboFix is intended by its creator to be "used under the guidance and supervision of an expert", NOT for private use. Please read Combofix's Disclaimer. Using this tool incorrectly could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again.

What happens when you boot, does Windows open?

If it doesn't open can you boot into Safe Mode?

If you can boot into Windows either way use the System Restore, pick a date prior to the date that you ran combofix.

Start> All Programs> Accessories> System Tools> System Restore.

When this opens make sure that "Restore my computer to an earlier time" is chosen, and click on Next>.
The dates appearing in bold are the dates that you can restore to, click on the date that you want and then click Next> to start the System Restore, you may get the message telling you that you will have to restart your computer to start, click ok. When the computer restarts and you have logged on as the administrator a Restoration Complete page will appear, click on OK to complete the process.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 stealthspark

stealthspark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2009 - 12:19 AM

What happens when you boot, does Windows open?
Windows boots without abnormalities.

If it doesn't open can you boot into Safe Mode?
Windows successfully boots.

pick a date prior to the date that you ran combofix
Okay, I restored to a time before I used combofix.

Combofix still doesn't restart my computer when the blue box states such. If I manually restart the log contains no useful data. Any idea why Combofix is not automatically restarting my computer when ran, thus completing the scanning procedure?

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2009 - 12:26 AM

The Point of restoring to a point prior to the use of Combofix was so that we could address the original problem without using Combofix, if you read what I posted about Combofix then you should realize that this isn't a tool that you should use without proper supervision. Try using the System Restore to another previous date and if this works post a topic in the Am I Infected forum with a complete description of your problem.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 stealthspark

stealthspark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2009 - 12:39 AM

Oh I see, but there wasn't an original problem. A moderator on the Kapersky forums told me to run Combofix after we removed a malicious driver that redirected my google searches to ad4.doubleclicker.net. Since Combofix wasn't working I attempted to look around for a solution.

Thanks in advance.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2009 - 12:51 AM

Obviously there was an original problem or they wouldn't have suggested using Combofix. It sounds like they believe that you are still infected and that their product wasn't going to be able to resolve the issue. This isn't surprising, there isn't a single application out there that will take care of all the different kinds of infections. This is why I suggested that you post a topic in the Am I Infected forum, you can find it here. I'll even help start you, download and and update Malwarebytes and Superantispyware, and then run scans with both.

#7 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,942 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 AM

Posted 06 February 2009 - 10:45 AM

A moderator on the Kapersky forums told me to run Combofix after we removed a malicious driver that redirected my google searches to ad4.doubleclicker.net.

From what you say, you have a thread in process on the Kaspersky site. Since the moderator there told you to run Combofix, I suggest you post back there to discuss the issues you are having with Combofix. Also, inform the moderator there that you tried system restore.

Please note that it is very unwise to have multiple topics regarding an issue whether they are on the same website or not as this creates massive confusion and can make the disinfection process more difficult.