Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't use Windows Live Mail Anymore

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dibbee

dibbee

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 05 February 2009 - 10:23 PM

I have been using Windows Live Mail on my Sony Vaio laptop for several months. I am connected to the internet with high speed dsl from Verizon and I have Windows XP.I have no problem receiving emails on my verizon yahoo webmail. But I find this program inconvenient as my husband and I have to keep signing each other out to read emails. That is why I switched to Windows live mail which is a very lovely free program on my desktop. Well on Wednesday it refused to work any longer and I keep getting the following error when it tries to send an email. I have called Verizon 3 times and was on the phone for 3 hours trying to resolve this problem but they never helped me. The tech person examined all the settings and they are correct. The pop account is incoming.yahoo. verizon.net and the outgoing server is outgoing.yahoo.verizon.net. It uses the ports of 25 and 110 and the server requires authentication is checked. This is so frustrating because it happened so suddenly. By the way Outlook Express is exactly the same and will not work either. I would appreciate it very much if someone here could help me with this strange situation. Thanks again.

Unable to send or receive messages for the Doreen account. Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity.

Server: 'incoming.yahoo.verizon.net'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0F
Protocol: POP3
Port: 110
Secure(SSL): No

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 InterestinglyAverage

InterestinglyAverage

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 06 February 2009 - 10:17 AM

Lets try to rule out any possible problems on your end by testing a manual connection to the POP3 mail server. This can be done on any Windows computer. Open a command prompt by pressing WindowsKey + R and typing "cmd" in the Run dialog and pressing Enter. On the command line, type "telnet" and press enter. This will open the Telnet utility, and give you a new command line that will allow you to talk directly to your mail server to rule out a connection issue.

At the command prompt, enter "open incoming.yahoo.verizon.net 110"
You should get a message "+OK hello from..." which will indicate that the server accepted your incoming connection.
Enter "user <your email address>".
You should get a message "+OK password required".
Enter "pass <your password>"
You should get a message indicating that the password was accepted.
Enter "stat"
You should get a response containing two numbers. The first number will be the number of messages in your account on the server, and the second is the total size of those messages.
Enter "list" to get a list of messages.
You should get a listing showing at least the message IDs of all your messages on the server.
Enter "quit" to close the connection, and press Enter twice, then close the command prompt.

Post back if this process is successful, or post any error messages you get during this process.
The only way to learn anything is to question everything.

#3 dibbee

dibbee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2009 - 11:17 AM

i am unable to get connected to this utility. It tells you to press any key and then says the server is lost. I have still been receiving emails on my verizon yahoo webmail but not on windows live mail though I am able to send through my husbands side on windows live mail. It just never appears in Windows live or outlook express or thunderbird which I have been trying too.

#4 InterestinglyAverage

InterestinglyAverage

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 06 February 2009 - 11:37 AM

What is the exact text of the error message you got, and after what point did you get the error message? Was it before or after providing your password, or when you tried to download the list of messages, or at another point?
The only way to learn anything is to question everything.

#5 dibbee

dibbee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2009 - 04:55 PM

Update on this problem-I wrote to someone for help from this board. He answered that on my avg antivirus I should uncheck scan incoming email. I did this and immediately my mail went into my Windows Live Mail inbox. This also occurred after I deleted AVG from my computer and reinstalled it. There must have been a corrupt download or something because now everything works fine and avg is even checked to scan incoming emails. What a relief.

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 06 February 2009 - 06:08 PM

For future reference, error 0x800CCC0F refers to conflicts between your email client and your antivirus.
The cure, as you have discovered, is to disable email scanning.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users