Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Building a new System

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 neonick

neonick

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 05 February 2009 - 09:23 PM

Building a new system with tax return because my current one is pretty old (6 years or so) and I'm wondering how this looks?

3.0Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 6MB Cache FSB 1333
Thermaltake Quiet TR2 M21 RX A4021 18dBA
ASUS P5QL Pro (Intel P43, PCIEx, 8-Channel Audio, LAN, 4xSATA2, 4xDDR2, 1333FSB)
2GB (2GBx1) PC6400 DDR2 800Mhz Memory Lifetime Warranty
320GB 7200RPM 16MB Cache Serial ATA300
22X LG Dual Layer DVD+/-RW/CDRW w/Nero
512MB nVidia GeForce 9800GT GDDR3 PCI Express DVI/Tvout
CoolerMaster Black Elite 330 (4 5.25, 5 3.5 bays) 2 Fans, Front Audio/USB
500watt Antec EarthWatts EA500
Onboard LAN included
Onboard Sound included
Standard 1 year parts and labor

Power Supply should be fine, right? I'm throwing XP Pro 32-Bit on it so I don't have to spend more money by upgrading to Vista.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Goldwyn

Goldwyn

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 05 February 2009 - 09:35 PM

Looks good the PSU is perfect for it. I run a 630watt unit. thats with 6 hard drives 1 TV card 1 Nvidia card 1 Wireless card 1 Modem with 5 case fans 1 CD/DVD burner combo Floppy drive and a 32 memory card reader. 8 USB connections.. So yeah. Your 500 will do just fine. BTW nice chip. I have the exact chip. You will love it. Trust me. Blazing fast.
Posted Image

#3 neonick

neonick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2009 - 10:52 PM

My chip? oh, you mean the processor? Yeah, I'm expecting it to be fast. This will be my first Intel processor and my first Dual Core system. Hopefully Windows 7 will be worth it to upgrade. Do I need a floppy drive to install the SATA drivers for the hard drive?

#4 Goldwyn

Goldwyn

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 05 February 2009 - 11:54 PM

Nope. Vista and Windows 7 Naturally have the drivers already in it. Not only that. Unlike XP you can search drivers from CD rom. Which your Motherboard Driver CD will have it on just in case.
Posted Image

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 06 February 2009 - 12:12 AM

What are you going to use this PC for? Are you building the PC or having a company do it for you? What's your budget? Even though Windows 7 runs on less powerful hardware than Vista, you should still get as much memory as you can afford. Also, note that although a dual-core will be fine for now, a quad core would be better for futureproofing. I usually get powerful PC's every five years or so that are considered upper midrange PC's at purchase. By the time five years rolls around, the PC is just about ready for an extensive overhaul or new purchase.

Suggestions:
CPU: That CPU will be plenty for the next couple years or so, but a quad-core would be best after that.
Case: It's just a case, though I do suggest full ATX towers though.
Motherboard: Not bad if you do some light gaming, the board does not support SLI or Crossfire.
RAM: Your board will support about eight times that amount you're getting. I suggest getting as much as you can afford. Be aware that 32-bit Windows only has 3 to 3.5GB of memory available. If you go 64-bit, you will be able to have far more memory. You will need more memory in the future as applications get more and more powerful.
Hard and Optical Drives: Good choices.
Graphics Card: If you're a gamer, I suggest getting a 9800 GTX or better.
Power Supply: That will do, for now. I haven't had good experiences with Antec, but others seem to like them.

3939.png

#6 neonick

neonick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2009 - 12:35 PM

I'm building the system on eCollegePC and trying not to spend too much. It's going to be my gaming machine. I'm not sure if I want Vista right now. I'm hoping to stick with Windows XP Pro 32-bit but I MIGHT upgrade to Vista. Don't want Quad Core right now, nor do I need SLI or Crossfire (also don't want it). If I have to upgrade for future applications, I'll get Vista 64 or Windows 7 64-bit. As for the video card, the only card available that is good is the 9800 GT (Not the GTX) so that will do me fine. Is my case not a full ATX tower?

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2009 - 04:43 PM

I take it you don't play many high-end games that require powerful PC's. Not everyone requires multiple graphics cards, but if you decide to play games that need powerful GPU's, you may be faced with an expensive upgrade. eCollegePC does offer the 9800 GTX, but it is more expensive. You won't get the 64-bit benefit unless you have 4GB or more of RAM, but since you're not planning on upgrading for a while, 2GB would do fine for now. The CoolerMaster Black Elite 330 is a Mid ATX-tower case. Some mid tower cases are not deep enough for the large video cards. The GPU's seem to be getting larger every generation. Your PC should cost about $600 to $700 from eCollegePC. I'm sure you already know this, but you will get more PC for the same price if you build it yourself.

3939.png

#8 neonick

neonick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2009 - 06:29 PM

So which towers (if any) on eCollegePC are full towers?

Edited by neonick, 06 February 2009 - 06:36 PM.

#9 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2009 - 07:53 PM

The Coolermaster Cosmos is a full ATX PC, as is CoolerMaster Black HAF 932 and the NZXT Black/Silver Zero Aluminum. These cases are huge and a little pricy, but their size will allow you to install the largest of PC components when you go to upgrade in a couple of yesrs.

3939.png

#10 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 07 February 2009 - 03:48 AM

. The GPU's seem to be getting larger every generation.
[/quote]
you know whats funny is the CPUs of the computer are getting smaller, and the video card GPUs are getting smaller, but the cards themselves are getting bigger, whats up with that lol.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#11 neonick

neonick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2009 - 01:55 PM

Cards themselves are getting pretty damn big. Maybe they're bigger because they need a bigger fan to keep cool?

#12 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2009 - 04:32 PM

That and the fact that manufacturers are packing more onto the card.

3939.png

#13 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 07 February 2009 - 10:07 PM

get quade core and 1gb graphics and 4 gb ram if your gonna play games
but if just internet stuff and all then it should be good
lol i still use my computer with 384sdram for internet and stuff

#14 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2009 - 12:04 AM

You don't necessarily need a quad core with games...yet. Most recent games have been designed to utilize two cores but not four. Some have, though. If you're not planning on purchasing a new PC for several years, five or more, than a quad core will be great for futureproofing. You also don't need a 1GB graphics card unless you are running a huge monitor, 512MB will suffice for most people. Also, 4GB of RAM is suggested if you're planning on playing many recent high-end games. Note that you will need a 64-bit OS to utilize all 4GB of RAM.

3939.png

#15 neonick

neonick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2009 - 01:47 PM

You don't necessarily need a quad core with games...yet. Most recent games have been designed to utilize two cores but not four. Some have, though. If you're not planning on purchasing a new PC for several years, five or more, than a quad core will be great for futureproofing. You also don't need a 1GB graphics card unless you are running a huge monitor, 512MB will suffice for most people. Also, 4GB of RAM is suggested if you're planning on playing many recent high-end games. Note that you will need a 64-bit OS to utilize all 4GB of RAM.

I don't need Quad Core right now. I'll probably upgrade to it later, though. I'll get 4 GB of RAM and Vista 64-bit, I just hope everything I want to work on it WILL work on it. My Monitor is 17" so I don't need a 1 GB video card. My 256 MB card does fine, so 512 will be plenty.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users