Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

200 Gb sata seen as 137 GB by winxp

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 seacraft

seacraft

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 05 February 2009 - 09:00 PM

re-building pc and the clean 200 gb maxtor sata drive is 'seen' by winxp as ~137 gb.

latest bios and drivers on a D865 intel mobo (bios sees correct size anyway).

forgot how to get full drive recognized

thanks
seacraft

:thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dogteams1

Dogteams1

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 05 February 2009 - 09:36 PM

Sounds to me like it is normal.

Unfortunately, there's a difference between the actual capacity of an HDD and what the advertisers say it is, mostly in the definition of a GigaByte/GB. Then the creating of the partition/s and formatting them reduces the capacity, considerable amount on larger HDDs. A formatted 320GB does yield only 298GB, way mine is.

A 1TB/1000GB HDD has an actual formatted capacity of 931GB.

As you can see, the larger the HDD the larger the amount taken by partitioning and formatting.

This might help you understand whats going on.

Dogteams1

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 05 February 2009 - 11:53 PM

If you haven't installed at least SP1 with Windows XP there is a BIOS limit that will only recognize 137GB of HDD space. If this is the case I would suggest slipstreaming SP2 with the installation and reinstalling the OS. If you would like a tutorial for this read this article.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,730 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 06 February 2009 - 05:30 AM

I agree, an installation slipstreamed with SP2 is a good way to avoid the problem. But alternatively, once at least SP1 is installed, the remainder of the drive should be recognized, and can be added as a second partition, or the existing C: partition can be expanded using third party partition management software like GParted, or Partition Magic.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 seacraft

seacraft
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 12 February 2009 - 08:40 PM

Thanks guys! It was the 137MB limit issue. As I have Disk Director 10 from Acronis (I found it friendlier than PM) I will go get my missing Gb now...
Thanks again!

Stan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users