Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't boot computer to scan for virus'

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Katica*

Katica*

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 05 February 2009 - 08:42 PM

Hello:

I am posting for a friend. She has a computer and it had the Windows 360 virus from who knows where. A system restore was done because she couldn't get anywhere else on the computer. Once that was done, it seemed fine and now it won't boot up. It goes to the Windows screen and its blank/blue then it goes to the desktop screensaver with NO icons or start button/bar. She cannot right click the desktop, it just shows the hour glass and never finishes. She can use Ctrl+Alt+Delete and the CPU Usage is low, around 2%.

The System Idle process is at 99% in the CPU column and all the rest are very low.

How can she scan this computer for virus' etc if its freezing up etc?

Thank you for your help!

Katica

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MagicPotion

MagicPotion

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 06 February 2009 - 08:25 AM

well I know you shouldn't really take advice from people that aren't from this site, but I would say you get into task manager, then click new task, type in

"explorer.exe"

without the quotes
Windows should start working from there.
But then again I dont know what virus's and all the sorts you have.
Who knows what they will do when you get windows to work.

Maybe you should check if explorer.exe is already listed in the task bar
If it is then this wont help you I guess.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users