Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue Screen of Death related to wireless connection

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 kirka.dirka

kirka.dirka

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 05 February 2009 - 07:51 PM

My problem: I get the Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) when using my laptop at home shortly after turning on my computer. My laptop automatically connects to our wireless network and generally crashes shortly after the connection is established.

I have brought it to work several times to try and get my office friends to troubleshoot and it is fine at the office. Even connects to our wireless network here (which is firewalled) and appears fine. I can't get the BSOD to happen at work. No problems at all.

I will be bringing my laptop back home tonight hopefully to get some more specific information about the BSOD error. I am assuming it is going to continue at home. So my conclusion (please correct me if i am wrong) is that there is some sort of relation to my internet connection at home. Virus? Malware? HELP!!!!

Specifics

Machine- Dell Inspiron 600M laptop
OS- Windows XP Home Edition (2002)
ISP: Qwest high speed with MSN
Wireless Card: Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network

What other info is helpful? I will have my laptop home tonight and I have another working machine I can connect to internet with and post BSOD and other error info with.

I think I also remember that there previosly was prompts to update an antivurs when I restart after the BSOD.

Actions I have taken so far: Removed any programs that I didn't recognize/don't use today using add/remove programs in the control panel.

Thanks for the help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 kirka.dirka

kirka.dirka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2009 - 11:16 PM

OK. back home now with the laptop and it is now back to BSOD mode.

The BSOD text:

There has been a problem detected and windows has shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x0000000A (0xFF1711F2, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x804D9B64)

Beggining dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete.
Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance.

#3 kirka.dirka

kirka.dirka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2009 - 11:35 PM

Upon restarting after the BSOD the system will almost immediately go back to the BSOD UNLESS I immediately disable the wireless network adapter.

If I do that Windows gives me an error window starting with: The system has recovered from a serious error.......

There is a link to "see what data this error report contains".

Clicking on this link I get another window:

Error Signature
BCCode 1000000a BCP1: FF1711F2 BCP2: 00000002 BCP3: 00000000 BCP4: 804D9B64 OSVer: 5_1_2600 SP: 3_0 Product: 768_1

There is also a link at the bottom of this window to "view technical information about this error report"

Clicking on that link finally brings up a 3rd window with the following text:

Error Report Contents
The following files will be included in this error report:

C\DOCUME~1\ADMIN\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERe636.dir00\Mini020509-03.dmp
C\DOCUME~1\ADMIN\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERe636.dir00\sysdata.xml

PLEASE HELP!!!

#4 kirka.dirka

kirka.dirka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2009 - 03:58 PM

BUMP. Can someone please help me?

#5 battlespyware

battlespyware

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 09 February 2009 - 04:04 PM

kirka.dirka:

Is there anyway you can get online via hard line (ethernet)?

I would suggest looking to http://support.dell.com for an updated driver for the wireless card in your 600M

While you were there it couldn't hurt to update the BIOS and your Chipset Drivers.

Let me know if this helps.

Chaz.
battle spyware
----------------------------------
IT professional from S FL.
Blogger on how to remove spyware

#6 kirka.dirka

kirka.dirka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2009 - 05:20 PM

How does this explain the fact that this only happens at my house? At other locations I can connect to wireless networks without any problems.

I will try to reinstall the driver tonight but I fear this may not be the problem.

I am cocerned that this is not a driver issue but some kind of virus or malware.

#7 kirka.dirka

kirka.dirka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2009 - 10:48 AM

OK, well I can't wait any longer on my laptop and nobody seems to want to pay any attention to this post. I don't know what elese to do!!!!!!!!!!!

At least tell me what the error from my blue sceen of death means?

I am wiping my hard drive clean this afternoon unless someone can actually respond.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,106 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2009 - 11:17 AM

The symptoms you describe could be symptomatic of a variety of things to include hardware/software issues, overheating caused by a failed processor fan, bad memory (RAM), failing or underpowered power supply, CPU overheating, motherboard, video card, faulty or unsigned device drivers, CMOS battery going bad, BIOS and firmware problems, dirty hardware components, programs hanging or unresponsive in the background, and even malware. If the computer is overheating, it usually begins to shutdown/restart on a more regular basis.

If the machine is only crashing at home after establishing a connection but not at work when establishing a connection, then its probably an issue with your network configuration or something (i.e. wireless adapter) causing a conflict and not a malware issue. That's probably why no one has responded.

When doing a search on the net for Driver_IRQL-Not_Less_Or_Equal, you will find a lot of complaints with various causes and possible solutions. What works for one person may not work for another.

The DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error is usually due to a bad driver or faulty/incompatible hardware or software. This error condition means that a kernel-mode process or driver tried to access a memory location to which it did not have permission, or at a kernel Interrupt ReQuest Level (IRQL) that was too high.

You receive a "Stop 0x0000000A" error message in XP
Stop 0x0000000A or IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Also see Troubleshooting Windows STOP Messages.

I will move this topic to a more appropriate.
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Windows Insider MVP 2017
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#9 kirka.dirka

kirka.dirka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2009 - 11:24 AM

But my error was not: Driver_IRQL-Not_Less_Or_Equal

it is just: IRQL_Not_Less_Or_Equal

Does this matter?

The issue does only occur at home so I really don't think it is a hardware isssue.

So what is my best next step?

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,106 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2009 - 11:35 AM

Google search: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Error Message: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Windows Insider MVP 2017
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#11 kirka.dirka

kirka.dirka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2009 - 11:58 AM

It sounds like a lot of people are maybe confusing those two errors. There seems to be an endless amount of info out there on this error and endless solutions.

I guess I will try to update my wireless device driver and downloading/running Memtest to check my RAM. Hopefully one of those 2 things will shed some light.

#12 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 10 February 2009 - 12:35 PM

My first guess
If it runs fine at home except for the wireless connection and you have no problems at work,
it has to be the driver or the configuration.
Besides removing the driver and downloading a fresh one, I would remove it from the network and start over

Edited by garmanma, 10 February 2009 - 12:36 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#13 kirka.dirka

kirka.dirka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2009 - 12:43 PM

what do you mean by "remove it from the network and start over"?

#14 kirka.dirka

kirka.dirka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2009 - 05:34 PM

Memtest was run with no errors.

Driver has been updated.

The acid test will be tonight when I get home and see if the problems continue......

#15 kirka.dirka

kirka.dirka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2009 - 03:41 PM

Well, last night the machine was running OK at home. I will update this thread if there are any further problems.

In summary, the actions that I took to resolve this issue were:

1. Updating the driver for my wireless card.
2. Deleting my home connection from the network list on my network controller

Thanks for everyone's help on this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users