Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Static from monitor w/built in speakers

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 AustinTerry

AustinTerry

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 05 February 2009 - 05:54 PM

Hello everyone!

I have an HP Pavilion a1630n desktop, which has a WD 250 gb HDD (SATA II 2nd Gen Caviar SE16), and an HP f2105 moniter w/ built in speakers.

A couple days ago, I noticed a slight static noise coming from the speakers in the moniter, but was not coming from the
seperate set of speakers also hooked to the computer. I tried to reboot and ended up with a BSOD of Unmountable_Boot_Volume. I tryed to get into Windows Recovery Console but each time i would get the BSOD. I researched it and used my HP Recovery CD to run Windows Recovery Console and did the chkdsk /r, and fixmbr as was instructed. It worked and i was able to boot back up, but still had the static noise. I ran PC-Doctor 5, scanned the HDD and it failed the Smart Short Self Test (the read element of the test failed), but all other tests passed. I checked all connections inside the computer as well as to the moniter and all others, tightened any loose connections. Still static.
This morning i ran the PC-Doctor Extended Tests, and the Smart extended self test failed again, as well as the Hard Drive surface scan test (there was an error reading 7 sectors).

So i am assuming my Hardrive is about to be toast, but the question is, could the static be caused by the HDD?

I have hooked up headphones also. Connected to the moniter, the static comes thru the headphones but not the monitor. Hooked up directly to the computer and the static still comes thru the monitor speakers.

Thanks for any help.

Terry

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guitarist

Guitarist

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 04 March 2009 - 10:52 PM

open up your volume control (Start>All Programs>Accessories>Entertainment>Volume Control) and turn it down somewhere under 80% for everything ...that has helped me before when i played games even tho my speakers volume was only like 20% the computer volume was all at 100% and it was giving me some static. probably isnt the problem just if it is then hey easy fix :thumbsup:

another thing you could try that would be an easy fix is open up volume control and click on Options>perties and make sure Microphone is checked then hit ok... after that mute the microphone using volume control and see if that helps

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 04 March 2009 - 11:22 PM

I sincerely doubt the static is caused by the hard drive, its probably the sound ports in the monitor. try turning the volume down or a new sound cable. the hard drive going bad is a seperate issue.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users