Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't open recovered JPegs

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ratdem

ratdem

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 05 February 2009 - 03:42 PM

My sister accidentely deleted her photos folder on her laptop, and asked me if I could retrieve the photos, because she didn't have them backed up anywhere, and doesn't have any hard copies. I ran Restoration and found and saved all of the JPeg files on her hard drive, but I can't get any imaging software to open them. Window's photo viewer tells me that it doesn't recognize the file format, though they are all .jpg extensions.

Does anyone have any idea of a way to open or convert these files? It's no huge problem if they're lost, but she says that a few of the photos are important to her and she'd hate to lose them. The laptop was running Windows Vista Standard, and my PC is running Vista Home Premium, it it makes any difference.
"If ignorance is bliss, then wipe the smile off my face."
Rage Against the Machine

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 05 February 2009 - 05:16 PM

Try reseting the file extension:
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/06/22/r...k-folder-drive/

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#3 ratdem

ratdem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 06 February 2009 - 01:07 AM

Thanks for the suggestion, but that didn't do it. I don't think that the file extension is the problem, as they're reading as JPegs, and none of the pics on my system are reading wrong. I'm afraid that the problem is that the files are just too corrupted to read. The only thing that I can't figure out that could be a clue is that when I try to open one of the picture with Windows Picture Viewer, it give me a message saying that it either doesn't support the format, or that I need to download the lastest updates for the viewer, which is something I see no option to do.

If anyone else has an idea, I'm open to suggestions, otherwise, I guess I'll have to tell my sister that her pics are toast.
"If ignorance is bliss, then wipe the smile off my face."
Rage Against the Machine

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 06 February 2009 - 06:56 PM

Just a hunch, but try renaming one of them to .jpeg (rather than .jpg) and see what happens.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users