Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New laptop, not bad FPS....but still laggy

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Box In A Bag

Box In A Bag

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 05 February 2009 - 03:33 PM

Ok, im alittle confused.

I bought a new laptop,

SPECS:

ACER Aspire 6530-5753
AMD Turion X2 Ultra 64 ZM-82 2.2GHz
2MB L2 Cache
ATI mobility Radeon HD 3650 1GB
4GB DDR2 667
320 GB Harddrive...partitioned 50/50...?? weird but ok
Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit
16" widescreen display (WXGA)

With those specs, you would suspect that this laptop could play MANY games on high settings, well, my second desktop here, has less than that (but it is running XP) and runs WoW on high settings with FPS at 31-33. This laptop runs it at high with FPS at 29-31 but it is definitly NOT SMOOTH at all.

The only thing I could think of is the processor, only running at 2.2 GHz, my desktop has a E8400 at 3.6GHz.

Others with this same laptop have said that they can run Unreal 3 at high settings no problem... why cant I run WoW, is it more resource consuming than higher end graphical games?

If any of you have suggestions please let me know, I cant overclock the GPU, tried multiple utilities, none work at all. The BIOS has 0 options for overclocking, infact the only options it has is change the time, and boot sequence, THATS IT!

So, what do yall think?
Posted Image
Intel Core2Duo E8400 wolfdale 3.0GHz OC'd to 3.8GHz 38C/39C maximum,

---Call 9-1-1 for emergencies.... or just post at Bleeping Computer---
------------Your friendly CVCOG 9-1-1 Network Administrator-----------

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Box In A Bag

Box In A Bag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 06 February 2009 - 11:09 AM

...anyone?
Posted Image
Intel Core2Duo E8400 wolfdale 3.0GHz OC'd to 3.8GHz 38C/39C maximum,

---Call 9-1-1 for emergencies.... or just post at Bleeping Computer---
------------Your friendly CVCOG 9-1-1 Network Administrator-----------

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 08 February 2009 - 12:26 AM

Gaming on a laptop is never good, your GPU is a mobile version of a desktop card which reduces performance. The Turion is AMD's mobile CPU which isn't good. The best gaming laptops have desktop processors inside with discrete graphics cards. Also, your CPU should usually be about 2.5GHz. or faster regardless of the number of cores. I haven't played WoW in a long time but, but I do remember reading that it takes a slight performance hit with some 64-bit systems. It's an older game not optimized for it or multiple cores, so sheer performance of the CPU is a must with that game while running in 64-bit. Actually, the game can use multiple cores, but not the same way as a game designed for it from the ground up would.

3939.png

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 16 February 2009 - 12:31 AM

from what ive seen with WoW its not a graphics intensive game its more focused on having a good CPU and memory. a decent video card should handle it fine, but the turion, while a good mobile CPU is not made for gaming. people diss the turion but its cuz they are trying to use it for what it was not designed for-gaming, it was made for mobile computing, web surfing, office apps, media, etc. not gaming. WoW will suffer with a CPU like this, and the slower rated ram (667 mhz) might affect it as well.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users