Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Only one drive at a time.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 technophobe

technophobe

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 05 February 2009 - 03:33 PM

Hello again.
This is a bit of a follow on from my last thread in which Hamluis helped me out and got me up and runing very quick.
A new problem so I thought I'd start a new thread.
My computer was up and running both my hard drives fine, then the next morning when I tried to boot up I got a blank screen saying primary slave error.
I played around swapping drives and jumpers about and finally got my computer to boot into windows and all is running well.
My problem is the Slave drive I added the day before is no longer recognized in the BIOS.

With both drives connected on the one IDE cable, I sit viewing my Bios and tell it to auto detect drives but it will only detect one of them.
Well it detects them both separately but not both at the same time.
I connect one of them press auto detect and it finds it, I take that one off and connect the other one press auto detect and it finds the other one, but connect them both at the same time and it will only detect one..
I have tried many combination , swapping from middle to end of the IDE cable and different Jumper settings.
Both drives are detected no matter what part of the IDE cable I use but it will not detect both at the same time.

This is really Bizarre and I wont be surprised if you cant help me but thanks for reading.

Sorry I went on a bit, just trying to give you as much info as I know.

Cheers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 05 February 2009 - 03:51 PM

Hi , If you are using 2 IDE hard drives on the same cable the best setup is,
Make sure you have a 80 connector [commonly called 80 "pin"] cable
Set the drive that has Windows on it to Master & hook it to the very end of the cable.
Set the other drive as Slave [or cable select] & hook it to the "middle" connector.
In the BIOS have the Primary Master & Slave set to AUTO .

If you are using 2 plugs on the same power lead for both try using a difrferent lead for one of the drives if possible.

Edited by fairjoeblue, 05 February 2009 - 03:52 PM.

OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 technophobe

technophobe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2009 - 05:01 PM

Thanks, I'll try that and get back to you.

#4 technophobe

technophobe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2009 - 08:24 PM

No go My friend, I connected it up as you said and got the error again, "PRI SLAVE HDD ERROR" So I removed the slave drive from the IDE and tried to boot again and got the same message.
So I went into the BIOS and did the Auto detect saved and exited it... then it booted fine with just the one drive.

Auto detect with Both drives connected still only sees one.

It was fine yesterday after Hamluis helped me. I dont know whats happened, not very hopeful of sorting it out, it's driving me mad.

Thanks for your time.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2009 - 08:53 PM

If you have them both on an 80-wire, 40-pin cable...just use the CS (cable select setting on both drives). That way you don't have to worry about anything but 1 jumper setting for both drives, no matter which connector the drive is attached to.

If that yields no luck, then I would suspect the cables (they can go bad/break, etc).

FYI: http://www.mikeshardware.com/howtos/howto_...ect_ide_hd.html

Louis

#6 technophobe

technophobe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2009 - 09:05 PM

Hi mate haven't read all the link yet (thanks for that) but from the first bit I read I have the 40 wire ribbon.
My pc Is about 7 years old.

I'll have a proper read later and see if \i can understand it.

Thanks Again

#7 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2009 - 10:03 PM

Have you considered that the cable might be faulty ?

If you have another you can try it might be wort the effurt !
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#8 technophobe

technophobe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2009 - 10:51 PM

Hi mate.
Yes I did think of that but... Both drives are recognized in the middle connector and both are recognized in the end connector, but only one recognized when they're both connected. so I ruled out the cable being faulty as both connections must be working .

I don't have another one to try anyway, just singles and they obviously work fine.

Having said that, it would be nice just to try another cable just to rule it out.

#9 technophobe

technophobe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2009 - 11:27 PM

I left both drives connected over night and when |I booted this morning I first got a black screen with Boot error incert disk in to drive A: or something like that.
I unplugged the drives, plugged the main drive back in and all was well.
Do you think an intermittent fault with the cable ? or MOBO

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users