Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Deffrag

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sherrymyra

sherrymyra

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 29 May 2005 - 09:25 PM

I have had my computer for about two years. I have never done a defrag. I do alot of downloading and deleting from the internet so I am thinking that I should ,but I was wondering then if this is a pretty failsafe procedure or if I might encouter any problems. I have not noticed any slowing down as of yet but might this still be a good thing to do and if so since I have not done one yet what should I know.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 29 May 2005 - 09:57 PM

Occasional defrag should make your machine faster. It will also reduce wear on your hard drive to a small extent because it places related data in the same area reducing the searches that the hd has to do.

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 PM

Posted 29 May 2005 - 10:32 PM

Also, do your defrag in Safe Mode.
How to start Windows in Safe Mode
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 30 May 2005 - 12:07 AM

I've been running defrag regularly on computers for about fifteen years or more. Never had a problem. It's quite safe, and very necessary for both speed and computer life. And yes, Safe Mode is good. If your machine is XP, you can probably run it in regular mode. I do on mine. If your machine is slow or doesn't have much memory, it might be better to scan in Safe Mode so there are fewer other programs running in the background that might slow it down.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users