Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP will not load after power outage

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 groegler

groegler

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 05 February 2009 - 03:29 PM

Dell 2550 with XP Home SP3.
Worked fine until power outage. Now it will boot past splash screen, but gives error message offering several options: SAFE, SAFE with COMMAND, LAST WORKING...etc. None actually loads WINDOWS. The best option is SAFE with COMMAND, but that only loads dozens of .sys files and then stalls.

Can read BIOS, changed boot sequence to boot from CD

CD player works, and when XP INSTALL disc runs, I get "WINDOWS SETUP", and at the bottom of the bluescreen, I see dozens of WINDOWS files loading, but this too locks up and nothing happens.

Stumbled upon a DELL diagnostic option and ran all the tests( took about an hour) and I got one error message:

Error Code 3B00:0788
Bootstrap checksum: expected 009Fh
returned 001Ah

Since I have no idea what that means, I am hoping someone here does.

Thanks

George

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 05 February 2009 - 05:10 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

In my limited experience...checksum errors are generated only when my CMOS battery is running down and needs to be replaced. But generally they indicate a problem in the BIOS, IMO. But that's on PCs, not servers.

The Dell Poweredge 2550 is a server, which (IMO) makes it unlike a PC.

I would not necessarily assume a CMOS battery is bad, I would suspect the BIOS itself may be adversely impacted by the power outage.

Have you tried resetting default settings? Are the CMOS settings accurate in the BIOS?

Louis

#3 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 06 February 2009 - 08:19 AM

Test the ram.
If there are two pieces of RAM you could always remove one and see if this issue persists. If it does, swap the pieces and try again. This would identify which piece of RAM is defective, if any.

If you care to test the memory:

Microsoft Memory Diagnostic
Memtest86
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users