Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WINDOWS AERO

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DEPUTYDOG03

DEPUTYDOG03

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 05 February 2009 - 01:12 PM

Hello,

I am new to this and I hope I am posting in the correct place, if not so sorry.

I keep geeting this window that pops up stating windows that says windows aero is not working on top and you may be a victim of software counterfeiting.

It wants me to validate my microsoft windows as genuine and go on line to resolve now.

is this some virus waiting to happen or is this a ligit thing?

please help

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 czhang

czhang

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 05 February 2009 - 01:24 PM

Welcome to this forum!

This is probably not a virus. Have you tried to follow the onscreen instructions to validate it? If your OS is an OEM version or is otherwise genuine, you don't have to be afraid of anything. If it says your copy is a counterfeit, you will have to contact MS tech support, though.

I personally am not using Vista right now. I bought a desktop computer with Vista Home Premium 64 bit version preinstalled, but fomatted it and installed XP Pro instead due to software incompatibility issues. I recently installed it again in an effort to multiboot my PC, but on two occasions I lost the use of mouse after Microsoft updates, which rendered the computer useless. As a result, I will never use Vista again.

Edited by czhang, 05 February 2009 - 01:26 PM.

#3 DEPUTYDOG03

DEPUTYDOG03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2009 - 01:31 PM

Thanks, I went on and clicked to resolve and it sent me to what appears to be a microsoft webpage but did not procede because thats how i got a virus on my other computer. I didn't know if you actually had to validate it online. My wife bought this notebook because she thought it was cute! Didn't ask me or I would have said hecck no to vista. all it has ever been is a pain in the neck.

#4 czhang

czhang

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 05 February 2009 - 02:11 PM

Do you have virus protection for your computer? I use Norton Internet Security 2009 (also previous versions) to protect my PCs. NIS includes anti-virus, anti-malware, and anti-spyware functions. It works fine for me, although I have to update it (virus definition etc) constantly. It will cost you about $60 per year to protect up to 3 PCs.

At some point, my Windows XP PCs all forced me to install "Windows Genuine Advantage" to validate my OSs. I think it is probably the same case with Vista.

If Vista is a pain to you, you may want to try Ubuntu 8.10 (32 bit or 64 bit version):
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

It is free and will always be free. I tried it and it worked fine for simple tasks such as web browsing, e-mailing, and office work (Open Office, includes Word Processor, Spreadsheet, and Presentation). Another advantage is that you don't need to worry too much about virus, esp. the 64 bit version.

#5 DEPUTYDOG03

DEPUTYDOG03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2009 - 04:13 PM

thanks i will try that

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 05 February 2009 - 04:51 PM

Some notebook manufacturers do not activate Windows prior to selling them. You must either activate Windows online or over the phone to regain the missing features. XP has similar anti-counterfeiting measures so installing that would not help you in this matter. If you want to go for Ubuntu know that some of your software will not work, unless you're in WINE, and you may have to drop down to command line (Think DOS) to get some stuff done. If you're interested. there are various sites that will explain how to install the OS. I personally enjoyed the Kubuntu flavor of Ubuntu better than the plain GNOME edition. Know the limitations before you switch to Linux. You could always download the beta of Windows 7, which is superior to Vista in my opinion. I've been using this for about a week and it is remarkably stable for a beta release. As for virus protection, Norton is horribly overpriced, I use NOD32 which is more lightweight and cheaper.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users