Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer won't restart after rebooting

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 vmorris

vmorris

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 05 February 2009 - 12:28 PM

I put this help request in the VISTA Forum as well, but I don't think it is a VISTA 64 problem.

I put the 'System Mechanic'disk in the D drive, but didn't insert it. I had to finish trying to solve an IE7 problem,online, and did so, but then got an automatic restart! The D drive went in, and the system tried to reboot, but wouldn't. Gets to message "Press DEL to run Setup, Press TAB to display BIOS POST Message. "
No change while I:
1) restarted
2) tried to restart using original WIN VISTA 64 OS Disk that came with the custom system.
3) tried downloaded boot disk from winimage
4. called, emailed and prayed to Microsoft, but no answer or contact

Messge re: DEL or TAB comes up in white on black screen, within 3-4 sec of power on. Nothing else comes up, or will come up.

Only thing I found online for somehting that might have been similar was a suggestion to remove the CMOS battery, wait 3 minutes, and restart.

If I can't get a restart, I will need to reinstall, I guess, so would like suggestions as to how to do that from my current situation of not being able to get past the DEL and TAB message.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 05 February 2009 - 01:29 PM

You might also try reseating your RAM.

Open up the box and take the RAM out and then reinstall it. You would be surprised how many problems that can fix.

Good luck.

DR

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 05 February 2009 - 01:51 PM

System manufacturer and model?

Offhand...I would run chkdsk /r from the Recovery Console and maybe run fixmbr, after making sure that the BIOS boot options are proper.

System Mechanic, huh? I've played with that back in my Win 98 days, decided that it was inferior to Symantec's product...which is inferior to not even bothering with such products. I used to try a lot of such products, just to see if they really did anything useful or that I could not do better myself without said product.

Louis

#4 vmorris

vmorris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2009 - 09:04 PM

Rigacci: Thanks much. I reseated the four RAM cards and then started up perfectly. You're a genius!!!

#5 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2009 - 09:15 PM

Cool! :thumbsup:

DR

#6 vmorris

vmorris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2009 - 01:23 PM

Rigaci: Unfortunately your genius is short lived! The computer started, and I checked operations and ran programs for a couple of hours. However, when I restarted it the next morning, I got another message after few seconds; 'expressgate is not installed, or installation is incomplete', followed in but 10 seconds with the original DEL or TAB message. I reseated each RAM card and spent abut an hour going through all of the original things I mentioned, but can't get past the DEL or TAB message on a dos screen.

Your suggestion is the only one that worked at all, though. Can you tell me what would likely happen if I removed and reinstalled the CMOS battery? That was one suggestion . At this point I don't mind so much losing data, so long as I have the operating system, or am in a position to install Linux. I can always reinstall MSOffice and GoogleEarth, etc. and resolve the games I have going.

Thanks again.

#7 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2009 - 09:41 PM

You might have a bad stick of RAM. Try putting in one at a time.

Or, you can download a memory tester. Here is one:

http://www.memtest.org/

The CMOS battery is to keep the date and time correct as well as a few other things. By taking it out, you can reset the BIOS, which in your case may not be a bad thing. Just remember that if you had any specifics loaded into your BIOS before, they will not be there after removing the battery.

What have you got to lose?

DR

#8 vmorris

vmorris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2009 - 12:42 AM

Thanks for continuing to offer help. I've reset the CMOS battery, reset the Clear RTC RAM jumper both alone and with the battery removed. I've tried to start up with the mobo install disk, the vista64disk, and a Linux install program. I've also downloaded and tried two of the memory tester programs you suggested; I didn't know which, so I have tried the Pre-compiled Bootable Iso Memtest 86+-2.10.iso; and the Pre-compiled package for floppy(Win) I'll try others on your recommendation. I'm just trying to get into the os, and then make adjustments from there. Suggestions :thumbsup:

#9 vmorris

vmorris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2009 - 01:00 AM

I've tried the last five of the 2.11 memtests, nothing....

#10 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2009 - 09:56 AM

The make and manufacturer are important, as hamluis said. If you had another computer with the same MoBo in it, you could substitute the HD.

If you do rebuild, it might be best to use a new HD. They are so cheap nowadays. 500GB for $100 or less.

Good luck.
DR

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 08 February 2009 - 11:32 AM

FWIW: If you are going to run Memtest, you really ought to use the latest version that is not beta, http://www.memtest86.com/download.html

Louis

#12 vmorris

vmorris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2009 - 06:32 PM

I reran all the memtests, plus the memtest86 you gave me. No change. Thanks anyway.

#13 vmorris

vmorris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2009 - 01:01 PM

ok, back to Rigacci. You were right after all. I took the dead case to a local computer guy yesterday, and gave him a print out of what I had tried to do (but not any of the suggestions!) He asked how I tested the RAM sticks, and I said I removed them, air dusted the interior, vacuumed up the dust, and then reseated them randomly. He called a couple of hours later and said I was good to go. While picking up the live case, I asked what the problem was so I could see how stupid I was, and he said that he did the usual; i.e. checked hookups, voltage values, changed vid cards, etc. Then he started on the RAM because "it worked once for you, but then when the new message about 'expressgate' coming up, and then everything going down, that seemed a logical place."

He removed all 4 RAM sticks, then tried them out one stick at a time. No joy. Then he started reseating TWO sticks at a time. The third combo got a boot, and he went from there. Cleaned up BIOS, etc. and left 'expressgate disabled' for now, but told me how to enable it if I want it. I asked why the TWO RAM sticks, and he said he remembered that some systems needed to see at least 2GB of RAM before working right. So he tried that... I asked why and he just looked at me for a second, then said 'I'm a techie, not an engineer. I fix'um, I don't design'um'. It cost me a lot less than a new mobo or vid card or the CPU!!!

Thanks for the help here, and I hope this helps someone else out. Thanks again, Rigacci :thumbsup:

#14 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2009 - 02:00 PM

Go figure.....

:thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet: :inlove:

DR :cool:

0 user(s) are reading this topic