Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fresh installation of windows xp pro

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Raner

Raner

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 05 February 2009 - 12:06 PM

Hi all :thumbsup:
I have a computer that has gone threw three upgrades motherboards,cpu's,ram,video cards
and powersupply.It's working Ok.But I figured it's time to reinstall windows xp pro,it's
been running the same OS since 2001 so I need to clean it up.What I want to do is wipe out
everthing,I got another computer networked to it so I can save all the files I need.
I did some research how to go about doing a complete fresh reinstall but am getting different
ways of doing it.I have two hard drives on this computer that I want to wipe clean and
install a fresh version of windows xp pro.What would be the best way to do this? I was
thinking of using free wipe clean software to wipe hard drives and then installing windows,
would that work? Thanks Raner

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2009 - 12:13 PM

My technique is always the same...simply use the MS XP install CD to delete any partition...then continue with the clean install, taking care that all secondary/tertiary, etc. drives (including flash drives) have been temporarily disconnected from both the motherboard and the power supply.

Upon completion of the install, I reconnect all other drives, after visiting WinUpdate for all critical updates.

My procedures assume that I will retain and use the drives and the system, not pass such on to strangers.

Clean Install Procedure with Illustrative Screen Captures - http://www.theeldergeek.com/xp_home_install_-_graphic.htm

XP Clean Install, Stevens - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

Louis

#3 Raner

Raner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2009 - 12:34 PM

Louis
Yes I will be using both hard drives on the same computer, and thanks for the comeback.Short and simple just what I needed Thanks ------Raner

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2009 - 01:41 PM

Easily done, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

#5 chameleon437

chameleon437

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 05 February 2009 - 05:17 PM

Hi Peeps,
The way I would do it is:
1. Go to drivermax - useful to backup your drivers just in case.
2. If you don't have Acronis to create an image of your drive;
i. Copy your System folder, INF folder (this might be hidden so ensure 'view' hidden files are made visible from Tools/Folder Options.../View set to 'show', copy all .hlp files, all Fonts, Driver folder, System32 folder, and PIF folder (also hidden) to another location not on the hard drive that is to be installed or back up to DVDs using an external DVD/RW drive.
ii. Follow Louis instructions as per the use of the XP Pro installation disc and format to NTFS after deleting the partition but after completing the previous steps - if you have suffered from a virus attack then preferably use Acronis Disk Director to securely wipe the drive to prevent recurrence.

regards to all,
chameleon437

#6 Raner

Raner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2009 - 05:56 PM

hey chameleon437
I'm good with all the drivers have all the program cd's and all the sites to download and update any driver I might need.
However I am networked to another computer so I was just going to copy all the files to it and install them back after the fresh install,you think that will be ok.I do have "norton ghost 14.0" software program I do not have acronis program.Thanks Raner

#7 chameleon437

chameleon437

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 08 February 2009 - 06:42 AM

hey chameleon437
I'm good with all the drivers have all the program cd's and all the sites to download and update any driver I might need.
However I am networked to another computer so I was just going to copy all the files to it and install them back after the fresh install,you think that will be ok.I do have "norton ghost 14.0" software program I do not have acronis program.Thanks Raner

Hi Raner,
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you - if Norton Ghost 14.0 works well for you and you have had no problems then go with what you are used to, I just prefer Acronis for Image back up as have used it successfully on a work machine that went belly up - the supplier of the PC attempted to recover what he could using Norton without success - having already created an image of the base system at point of install Windows was backup and running within 20 minutes (40Gb image). The advice as to all the other bits in the Windows folder to copy is that I have found (going back to Win98 days) that some software required certain fonts to be present in order to work and some required specific help files (.hlp) to also be present. DriverMax is useful because it stores all of your drivers in one place - the only time this did not work properly was when I rebuilt an Acer Laptop for someone - I had to search for some .inf files that I had backed up separately - DriverMax is quite useful as it puts 'all' of your drivers in one location so you don't have to keep searching for different CDs. Are you backing up the whole drive or only parts of it?

regards,
chameleon437

#8 Raner

Raner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2009 - 10:47 AM

Hi chameleon437
I am in no hurry to do the reinstall because the pc is working ok,it just takes a bit long to boot.
It's because of all the junk it's collected over the 9 years windows has been in there without a reinstall.
I just want it to be as painless as possible.I have a 80 gb and 320 gb hard drive on this pc it is my gaming pc.I am just going to save some of the files and just do a fresh install of all my games.
Basicly get a fresh start on the hole rig.-------Thanks Raner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users